Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting over

I had a 700 reef tank that I lost after a disaster when I was away on vacation several months ago. I had a gasoline leak in my garage which fumigated my entire house and within a short timeafter my return everything was dead. Sparing details, I am trying to get it up and running again with fish only this time. Seem to have multiple issues. Have done multiple water changes since I lost everything. Also ran carbon filters trying to get toxins out. Waited 6 months with just filtration and skimmer running. Water is a little cooler now @ 72 since metal halides not running all the time. pH is high at 8.5-8.7 from continuous monitor and won't come down. My city water supply pH is rediculously high at 11.5+ so my r/o water is at about 9.0 when it goes into the tank. Have a level sensor that does it automatically. Nitrate, nitrate, ammonia levels all good. Have snails as only living inhabitants presently and they seem to do fine. Tried to introduce 2 damsels recently and they were dead in <24 hrs. Dont think the pH and temp are at lethal levels (or are they?) but open to suggestions as what to try next. Not really practical to completely breakdown this entire system and I'm hoping to not have to go that route.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dang that sucks man. Did you have to replace live rock and sand? Some pictures would be great

Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

I don't think it is legal to have tap water with a pH of over 11. If the RO is running properly with new cartridges you should have a TDS of 0, in which case the pH will not be 8 or 9. What test kits are you using to verify the pH results.

Without a lot of acclimation that pH could be lethal.

Have you been running carbon the whole time?

Any trace of gasoline left? If not put some water in a bucket and shake iot up real well. Then open the lid, stick your head in, and take a big whiff.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a tenant that works at the water plant. She says something is seriously wrong with the water if the ph is that high. I would not drink that water if I was you.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

regular ph is around 8.3 or so with commercial buffers. They also introduce carbonates to the water (obviously). You might try adding some buffer, try to drop your ph a little. Getting your water tested might not be a bad idea either, but if you've got the kits you can do it yourself. What's your salinity?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Test strips don't even read that high. Have a continuous monitor probe. seems to be working as best I can tell cause test kits I use are reading very high pH above what they can tell me.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Live rock now dead rock. just left it in as ornamental now. going to change over to fishonly.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Salinity 1.034
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As best as I can tell no gasoline. No longer running carbon.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why is your salinity so high?

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com