Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I would scrape it.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a single-edged razor blade (pharmacy -razor style, not aquarium-based type) on mine (glass, not recommended for acrylic) about once a week or every other week. I keep the front clear, and I only clear the sides to about halfway back, where I have rocks close to the glass. The back wall is on its own, and mostly purple. All the scrapings go floating into the tank, where they attach wherever they want!

Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I scrape as much as I can off.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a razor blade and scrape it off of the front and sides (sometimes). I the back.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a kent pro scraper with the stainless steel blade and it comes off easily.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113162
Old 06-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Danger Will Robinson!

Metal blades can do two bad things to your tank. If you get the metal blade up into the caulk in the edges of the tank, you could weaken and maybe even cut through the seal that holds it together, so caution is advised.

More probably, you will scratch the glass. I have a 75 in the garage that I used the Kent metal scraper on - if you want to swing by my house you will see what it can do to your glass. If you nick the blade on the coraline algae, or fail to hold it perfectly, you WILL put a scratch in the glass. I had that tank up for maybe 2 years and the front is nasty looking with little scratches here and there, all over it.

I recomend the plastic blade from Kent that fits into the same holder thing. It is made for acrylic tanks, but works fine on the glass ones. I have NO scratches in my 100 gallon tank from it, after one year of heavy use, maybe once a week, but you need to replace the blade much more often. I get about 6 months from a plastic blade before it is useless.

The longer you wait the harder it is to get off.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to try a (unused) spackle spreader thingy - basically a plastic putty knife. I think the magnetic cleaner would remove what I have, eventually, but I don't want to spend a day working on it

I really didn't suspect it would be so hard to remove, even the more prevalent, greenish type.

Oh, and is the blue-ish green spots coralline also? I have a few small spots, mostly under the sand level, on the front glass. Not really blue, but more bluish than the typical flourescent green color thats so common.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

that's a great idea! I bet you could buy 3 plastic spackle knives for the price of one kent! I have those purple circles growing on my glass, and they grow FAST. Those magnet things will get them off, if you spend an hour a day on them.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Abnmojo,
I've been using these scrapers for 4yrs and they have never scratched my glass or that is noticable. Also, common sense would tell you with any kinda of scraper not to use it around the silicon. I guess it depends on who using it and how your using it but to each their own.

Scoot, the putty scraper should work. Be prepared to replace it every so often though as those plastic scrapers have a tendency to get nicked and rough edged. I have used them on my fw tanks. And even with a plastic scraper you have to be careful not to scratch the glass when getting sand caught between it and the glass. Your algae below the sand is normal and I would just leave it. Good luck.

Tags
coral, coraline, glass, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com