Starting to see some cyano.. why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
danbstrong said:
Also forgot to mention try upping water circulation i agree with trying to get to root of the problem adding chemicals is never a good idea in a reeftank

I have a 425 powerhead, a mj1200 running a gfo reactor probably at half power, an aquaticlife 115 skimmer. Do I need more?? I have an aqueron quiet flow 10 on its also but for now its off and I just have the output to my reactor going in there.

Understand that cyano is a nutrient issue. Even if you use ro/di, it is coming from something. Probably from overfeeding. You are probably testing no phosphates and 5 nitrates because the cyano is consuming those nutrients.

Sniperhank said:
Understand that cyano is a nutrient issue. Even if you use ro/di, it is coming from something. Probably from overfeeding. You are probably testing no phosphates and 5 nitrates because the cyano is consuming those nutrients.

Try some nassarius snails i have 25 tongan nassarius in my 55 they keep the sand stirred and airated or try pointing a powerhead at the problem area

danbstrong said:
Try some nassarius snails i have 25 tongan nassarius in my 55 they keep the sand stirred and airated or try pointing a powerhead at the problem area

I have some, probably like 6? My lfs has tongan's but ther $8 a piece! I find that a lot for a snail, I got all mine from a guy on craigslist for like $5 total.. what about a sand sifting star? I hear they do really good work, and only get an 1".

*edit*
But still, why am I getting it..? I wanna make sure I fix the cause, not just fix the the effect.

00youknowit00 said:
I have some, probably like 6? My lfs has tongan's but ther $8 a piece! I find that a lot for a snail, I got all mine from a guy on craigslist for like $5 total.. what about a sand sifting star? I hear they do really good work, and only get an 1".

Thats expensive their only 1$ here about the stars i heard they devour livesand could just be hear\say i have no experience with them sandsifting gobies do a good job to

Sniperhank said:

Yeah I get that, that's still why I was confused, because 'theroetically' I don't have excess nutrients. I use to feed JUST mysis shrimp to my Yellow Watchman Goby and a Peppermint Shrimp, but now I feed nls marine pellets cause I have two clowns. I felt like there was a bunch of excess food waste with the mysis. Could that have been it and its still recovering? I switched only 5 days ago.

danbstrong said:
Thats expensive their only 1$ here about the stars i heard they devour livesand could just be hear\say i have no experience with them sandsifting gobies do a good job to

Wow!! You're lucky!! And by devour live sand do you mean eat the sand?? And I already have a yellow watchmab goby.

Ive had mine six mo and love hes even gotten bigger he dosent always stay in the sand which is cool. I still have lots of pods and such. They dobt eat the sand the eat organisms in it.

bigben2057 said:
Ive had mine six mo and love hes even gotten bigger he dosent always stay in the sand which is cool. I still have lots of pods and such. They dobt eat the sand the eat organisms in it.

Are you talking about the star? I just looked it up on LA, it says its easy. But to have a DSB of a couple of inches, that it'll burry itself to starve and decay, and that it'll eat other small invertebrate too.. seems a little bit sketcky.. but sounds like it does an awesome job cleaning!

Mine comes up out of the sand everyday. Mines not starving. When I got him part of his arm was missing and he has regenerated it and goten bigger. All will say they will just die I think it just depends on the tank. Id get one.

bigben2057 said:
Mine comes up out of the sand everyday. Mines not starving. When I got him part of his arm was missing and he has regenerated it and goten bigger. All will say they will just die I think it just depends on the tank. Id get one.

Well how big is your tank?

00youknowit00 said:
Wow!! You're lucky!! And by devour live sand do you mean eat the sand?? And I already have a yellow watchmab goby.

I meant eat the beneficial bacteria

00youknowit00 said:
Where did you read that?

Not sure its been awhile if i remember right they have a big appetite and only eat whats in the sand i could be wrong i know i was looking into gettin one at one point and steered away from it for some reason

danbstrong said:
Not sure its been awhile if i remember right they have a big appetite and only eat whats in the sand i could be wrong i know i was looking into gettin one at one point and steered away from it for some reason

Nevermind it was a horseshoe crab that wipes out livesand sorry about the misinformation

danbstrong said:
Nevermind it was a horseshoe crab that wipes out livesand sorry about the misinformation

Its all good, either way they get to be a foot, which is way to big. And my tank wouldn't sustain it long either, just not big enough

Back
Top Bottom