Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Also forgot to mention try upping water circulation i agree with trying to get to root of the problem adding chemicals is never a good idea in a reeftank
I have a 425 powerhead, a mj1200 running a gfo reactor probably at half power, an aquaticlife 115 skimmer. Do I need more?? I have an aqueron quiet flow 10 on its also but for now its off and I just have the output to my reactor going in there.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Its atleast ro water though..

Attachment 109414

And I have other tanks with no problem with it. I use this water on all of them.
Yeah i was trying to say that theirs noting wrong with it because it basically ro water.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Understand that cyano is a nutrient issue. Even if you use ro/di, it is coming from something. Probably from overfeeding. You are probably testing no phosphates and 5 nitrates because the cyano is consuming those nutrients.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Understand that cyano is a nutrient issue. Even if you use ro/di, it is coming from something. Probably from overfeeding. You are probably testing no phosphates and 5 nitrates because the cyano is consuming those nutrients.
Try some nassarius snails i have 25 tongan nassarius in my 55 they keep the sand stirred and airated or try pointing a powerhead at the problem area
Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Try some nassarius snails i have 25 tongan nassarius in my 55 they keep the sand stirred and airated or try pointing a powerhead at the problem area
I have some, probably like 6? My lfs has tongan's but ther $8 a piece! I find that a lot for a snail, I got all mine from a guy on craigslist for like $5 total.. what about a sand sifting star? I hear they do really good work, and only get an 1".

*edit*
But still, why am I getting it..? I wanna make sure I fix the cause, not just fix the the effect.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00

I have some, probably like 6? My lfs has tongan's but ther $8 a piece! I find that a lot for a snail, I got all mine from a guy on craigslist for like $5 total.. what about a sand sifting star? I hear they do really good work, and only get an 1".
Thats expensive their only 1$ here about the stars i heard they devour livesand could just be hear\say i have no experience with them sandsifting gobies do a good job to
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Yeah I get that, that's still why I was confused, because 'theroetically' I don't have excess nutrients. I use to feed JUST mysis shrimp to my Yellow Watchman Goby and a Peppermint Shrimp, but now I feed nls marine pellets cause I have two clowns. I felt like there was a bunch of excess food waste with the mysis. Could that have been it and its still recovering? I switched only 5 days ago.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Thats expensive their only 1$ here about the stars i heard they devour livesand could just be hear\say i have no experience with them sandsifting gobies do a good job to
Wow!! You're lucky!! And by devour live sand do you mean eat the sand?? And I already have a yellow watchmab goby.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive had mine six mo and love hes even gotten bigger he dosent always stay in the sand which is cool. I still have lots of pods and such. They dobt eat the sand the eat organisms in it.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057
Ive had mine six mo and love hes even gotten bigger he dosent always stay in the sand which is cool. I still have lots of pods and such. They dobt eat the sand the eat organisms in it.
Are you talking about the star? I just looked it up on LA, it says its easy. But to have a DSB of a couple of inches, that it'll burry itself to starve and decay, and that it'll eat other small invertebrate too.. seems a little bit sketcky.. but sounds like it does an awesome job cleaning!

Tags
cyano, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com