Starting to see some cyano.. why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only way I beat Cyano was buy running GFO in a reactor to lower phosphates. Even though the Phosphates a re reading 0 they are there. The Cyano is consuming it. By running GFO in a reactor it will pull the Phosphates out of the water before the Cyano can consume it and the Cyano will die off.

bavass said:
The only way I beat Cyano was buy running GFO in a reactor to lower phosphates. Even though the Phosphates a re reading 0 they are there. The Cyano is consuming it. By running GFO in a reactor it will pull the Phosphates out of the water before the Cyano can consume it and the Cyano will die off.

I've had a gfo reactor running since day 1....

I should have added I had better results with the HC GFO from BRS. I also changed it out every 2 weeks. What kind of flow do you have through it? I read something about a starfish, if its a sand stirring starfish they can eat your bacteria and that could cause the issue as well.

Also consider the fact that GFO is suppose to be replaced every 2 weeks like bavass said.

Other than that, I read this whole thread, and there is no reason for you to have cyano bacteria if you followed everyone's advice.

Recommendation in order to close this thread is to pull out your carbon, turn off skimmer, run your chemiclean, 20% water change in 24h with RODI 0 TDS, add carbon, replace GFO in 48h. Skimmer will not be operational for about a week.

Feed less. You are missing one of these steps because these are the only reasons to have cyano bacteria...

bavass said:
I should have added I had better results with the HC GFO from BRS. I also changed it out every 2 weeks. What kind of flow do you have through it? I read something about a starfish, if its a sand stirring starfish they can eat your bacteria and that could cause the issue as well.
I don't have and sand sifting stars..
I have an mj1200 on it, dialed back though.

bavass said:
have you tried doubling the amount of GFO?
I have, and didn't see a difference so stopped doing it since gfo isn't cheap.

Readingexcalibur said:
Also consider the fact that GFO is suppose to be replaced every 2 weeks like bavass said.

Other than that, I read this whole thread, and there is no reason for you to have cyano bacteria if you followed everyone's advice.

Recommendation in order to close this thread is to pull out your carbon, turn off skimmer, run your chemiclean, 20% water change in 24h with RODI 0 TDS, add carbon, replace GFO in 48h. Skimmer will not be operational for about a week.

Feed less. You are missing one of these steps because these are the only reasons to have cyano bacteria...

Carbon is 2Weeks, gfo is 4Weeks for changing. I don't have carbon running.

I feed every 4 days. I'm doing everything I know how to right haha, this is why i'm so stumped

Try changing the GFO out every 2 weeks. I did see a big difference when I switched from reg GFO to HC GFO. I even started changing mine every week for awhile. Its expensive but I had to do it. Now I don't need to change it near as often, I only change it when I see anything on my glass

bavass said:
Try changing the GFO out every 2 weeks. I did see a big difference when I switched from reg GFO to HC GFO. I even started changing mine every week for awhile. Its expensive but I had to do it. Now I don't need to change it near as often, I only change it when I see anything on my glass

I may try that, I still feel like it's the water, it seems to bloom heavily after a change

bavass said:
What is the TDS? Are you using RO/DI water?

I use distilled, which tests 0-1. I was given an ro/di unit, but it testes 6, which Im pretty sure is too much.

It seems that once I open the distilled though, and it sits (still i'm the jug with cap on) the tds goes up..

I would change out the membrane, filters and the DI. I change my filters when it reads 1ppm. The problem with TDS is you don't really know what it is in the water. The way I look at is if you add water with 1 TDS a day by the end of the week you have added 7 TDS. Not sure if thats true or not but thats the way I look at it

bavass said:
I would change out the membrane, filters and the DI. I change my filters when it reads 1ppm. The problem with TDS is you don't really know what it is in the water. The way I look at is if you add water with 1 TDS a day by the end of the week you have added 7 TDS. Not sure if thats true or not but thats the way I look at it

Well, this is just a pure water club one, I don't really wanna put money into it haha

Its better than nothing i am sure. As long as its at least a 4-stage i would try it. If you replace the filters as long as they are 10" they will fit another one you buy

Yeah I get that, that's still why I was confused, because 'theroetically' I don't have excess nutrients. I use to feed JUST mysis shrimp to my Yellow Watchman Goby and a Peppermint Shrimp, but now I feed nls marine pellets cause I have two clowns. I felt like there was a bunch of excess food waste with the mysis. Could that have been it and its still recovering? I switched only 5 days ago.

IDK if this has already been mentioned because i dont want to read the whole thread but if you are still having the issue the NLS is probably the cause. NLS has alot of phosphates in it and i find any tank i feed NLS to gets Cyno. I have 3 tanks that dont use it and non of them have ever had cycno and the ones i use it in always have it.

CleverBs said:
IDK if this has already been mentioned because i dont want to read the whole thread but if you are still having the issue the NLS is probably the cause. NLS has alot of phosphates in it and i find any tank i feed NLS to gets Cyno. I have 3 tanks that dont use it and non of them have ever had cycno and the ones i use it in always have it.

Matter of fact I do feed NLS pellets.. If that's really the cause i'm gonna be kicking myself hard.. Gahh..

Cause I have three tanks, none have it but the one I feed NLS in..

Matter of fact I do feed NLS pellets.. If that's really the cause i'm gonna be kicking myself hard.. Gahh..

Cause I have three tanks, none have it but the one I feed NLS in..

yup same thing NLS is amazing for Freshwater but ime terrible in saltwater because it causes cycno. No joke every tank iv fed NLS to develops cyno within 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom