Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

cyano comes from excess phosphates you phosphates read 0 becuase the cyano is using it up. I would get a reactor and start running some GFO. The GFO will start to consume phosphates lowering nutrients in tank and kill of cyano

Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #62
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabs
I have also tested Wal-Mart distilled and have seen TDS. Ideally this is supposed to b zero. I have argued with others here at AA before about this. I have also tested other brands with the same results. The amount is negligible and shouldn't factor in the Cyano outbreak.
just to be clear are you talking about the bottled Walmart distilled water or the culigan station which will give you RO water? The culigan station tested at 7ppm the one time I tested it, but over several of the distilled water gallons it tested 0. If your talking about the same water I find the results interesting.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass
cyano comes from excess phosphates you phosphates read 0 becuase the cyano is using it up. I would get a reactor and start running some GFO. The GFO will start to consume phosphates lowering nutrients in tank and kill of cyano
I'm already running that, and have been since this start of the tank..
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

are you running just in a bag or in a reactor? running in a bag is not as effective as in a reactor. Water will take the flow of least resistance which will be around the bag, in a reactor the water is forced through the GFO. I was running GFO in a reactor and I got to a point I couldn't get it any lower. I started running twice the amount and eventually switched to BRS High Capacity still ran double the recomended amount and changed it every 2 weeks. My phosphates have dropped to .01 on Hanna 736
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
are you running just in a bag or in a reactor? running in a bag is not as effective as in a reactor. Water will take the flow of least resistance which will be around the bag, in a reactor the water is forced through the GFO. I was running GFO in a reactor and I got to a point I couldn't get it any lower. I started running twice the amount and eventually switched to BRS High Capacity still ran double the recomended amount and changed it every 2 weeks. My phosphates have dropped to .01 on Hanna 736
I'm running a delux BRS reactor with the MJ1200 and their GFO.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

nice then I would try to add more than the recommended amount till the phosphates are down and cyano is gone. I was running a 1/2 cup then went to 3/4 and finanlly 1 cup of the high capacity GFO. This week I am going back down to 3/4 a cup.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
nice then I would try to add more than the recommended amount till the phosphates are down and cyano is gone. I was running a 1/2 cup then went to 3/4 and finanlly 1 cup of the high capacity GFO. This week I am going back down to 3/4 a cup.
Well on my API phosphate test its 0. Given I know its only hobby grade. Think I should still up it?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69

just to be clear are you talking about the bottled Walmart distilled water or the culigan station which will give you RO water? The culigan station tested at 7ppm the one time I tested it, but over several of the distilled water gallons it tested 0. If your talking about the same water I find the results interesting.
I'm talking about distilled. Wal-Mart brand as well as a couple others. I'm talking readings such as .005 and less. But they r still showing. Whereas my RO/DI water shows nothing. I have been thru this before so don't argue the point. Maybe my TDS meter is better than most, I have no idea. Maybe the bottling process for distilled in my area sucks. I don't know. It's a fact. And Cyano shows up at times when there isn't any reason for it. That's also a fact.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #69
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabs

I'm talking about distilled. Wal-Mart brand as well as a couple others. I'm talking readings such as .005 and less. But they r still showing. Whereas my RO/DI water shows nothing. I have been thru this before so don't argue the point. Maybe my TDS meter is better than most, I have no idea. Maybe the bottling process for distilled in my area sucks. I don't know. It's a fact. And Cyano shows up at times when there isn't any reason for it. That's also a fact.
Please don't be so defensive, I was not questioning your results, just clarifying which water and stating I found the results interesting.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00

Well on my API phosphate test its 0. Given I know its only hobby grade. Think I should still up it?
Yes i would up it. The test kit is giving you a false reading its higher than you think and see, the cyano will consume it before you can test for it. I would get a better test kit for sure like a Hanna 736. The others are hard to read at lower levels its nice having a digital output. I would up it see what its like in a few days and change it every 2 weeks

Tags
cyano, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com