Starting to see some cyano.. why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm starting to get some cyano, is it cause my photoperiod is too long?

Phosphate: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Photoperiod: actinics 10hrs, whites 8hrs. I feel like this is the problem..

Thanks!

Im pretty sure that cyano is a bacteria, and not an algae. That would mean it doesnt need light the survive so i dont think its the photoperiod

Gboy66 said:
Im pretty sure that cyano is a bacteria, and not an algae. That would mean it doesnt need light the survive so i dont think its the photoperiod

Hmmm, I read somewhere that it was related.. I didn't think about that..

Where's my problem then..?

Cyano is not related to photo period it is because the nutrients in your tank are high. your phosphates and nitrates are high causing it to grow if its extremely bad use chemiclean and reduce feeding.

bigben2057 said:
Cyano is not related to photo period it is because the nutrients in your tank are high. your phosphates and nitrates are high causing it to grow if its extremely bad use chemiclean and reduce feeding.

You consider 0 phosphates and 5 nitrates high?

18 hours is also excessive lighting cut it down to about 13. MInes at 13 with no problems. Sorry I did not read you whole first post.

18 hours is also excessive lighting cut it down to about 13. MInes at 13 with no problems. Sorry I did not read you whole first post.

His lights are not on 18 hours. This is what he said: His actinics are on for 10 hours a day and his white lights are on for 8 hours. This just means he turns his actinics on before the rest of his bulbs, and turns them off last.

I may be wrong, but I THINK cyano is caused by excess nutrients such as over feeding. Your phosphates may be 0, but remember if algae is present in the tank it could be consuming the phosphates as soon as they show up, this could be why your test reads 0. Perhaps someone more experienced could chime in.

Yes, my actinics come on an hour before and off an hour after. So 10hrs of light.

I feed 3x's a week.

I know that cyano is caused by excess, that's why I'm confused. I really have no excess. Its not bad, not a slime carpet, just a pink/red haze on my sand. But still don't like the sight of it.

I had the same thing just a small bit on my sand. I used chemiclean and its never came back. I would try that.

00youknowit00 said:
I use distilled water from walmart, which is ro/di

I tested walmart water with tds it came up terrible i dont think they change their filters enough that could be your problem might wanna check it out

I tested walmart water with tds it came up terrible i dont think they change their filters enough that could be your problem might wanna check it out

Distilled water is not filtered. It is heated and then the steam is condensed and it turns back into water.

Cyno is from overgrazing in my experience and I cut back my feedings and did bigger changes plus siphoned out what I saw

BelleMorte said:
Cyno is from overgrazing in my experience and I cut back my feedings and did bigger changes plus siphoned out what I saw

Also forgot to mention try upping water circulation i agree with trying to get to root of the problem adding chemicals is never a good idea in a reeftank

Back
Top Bottom