Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am planning a FOWLR. Would the LR rubble be put in the same place as the bio balls were, in the stream of falling water? Doesn't seem like the plastic that holds up the bio balls would hold much weight.

Would this set up with Bio balls be ok for a FOWLR?

Again, Thanks for everyones input.

nwbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ya I think it would be ok, but if you can go with the LR. What I did was take out the whole holder and fill that section with LR rubble. You can leave the tray in there over the rubble to break the noise of the water up.

I think you would be ok with the bio balls, but If LR is an option I would do that.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Originally Posted by nwbradshaw
Would the LR rubble be put in the same place as the bio balls were, in the stream of falling water?
Typically bio-balls are suspended above the water allowing the water to trickle through them. lr rubble would be far more effective if fully submerged so bacteria can properly build up within the lr and on the outside. (It’s the type of bacteria that builds up inside that is most important since these types help keep your no3 low.) Most use baffles to direct the water flow through the lr rubble and to reduce air bubbles before the return.

If you can convert part of your sump into a lighted refugium it would help with filtration/nutrient exportation as well.

Also lr rubble in the sump alone is not going to be sufficient for bio-filtration. You will need approximately 60-90 lbs of live rock in the main tank to handle your bio-filtration.

tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

55 gallon, long, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com