Startup Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone suggest a couple of corals that are hardy? Mine is a reef ready 72g. Water flow is taken care of two maxijet 1200 and one seio rated at 620gph. Light is PC with 2X65 10000K and 2X65 acitinic. Right now I have a mushroom coral with some fishes. I would like to get some colorful corals that are easy to care for.

TIA.

You have lots of options. Super-colored zoos and yellow polyps come to mind. There are also some nice LPS corals that are easy to care for...torch coral, hammer coral, trumpet coral...

wow! I am looking at them at liveaquaria. I see that there are lots of options...

Post your readings from your water tests, Nitrates need to be very low to have corals.
Kenya tree corals are super hardy, like the others have said you have a large choice with that light.

Nitrate <10 or 0; Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph 8.0, SG 1.023, temp 78.

It is more than five weeks since the tank was setup and the water parameters have remained steady since last three weeks.

Thanks

Your water parameters look good. I would hold off on any corals for another couple months. You need to insure consistanly good water parameters. See how the tank settles in after a few weeks of fish and feeding.

While you're waiting for that tank to mature bit more, get Eric Borneman's Corals book. It'll help you a lot in deciding on whether you've got the right lighting, flow, or time to feed (some need direct feeding).

When you begin, keep mushrooms, leathers, star polyps, & zoos in mind. Frogspawn, hammer are some of my favorite easy ones. But get a book a read up, otherwise you may may kill a few. Try a feather duster too (not coral, but a nice addition IMO.

I looked at some of the reviews for that book in amazon and have already placed an order. thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom