Starving fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantareadio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey act like I never feed them! How do I know if I'm giving them the right amount?

I feed mine every other day. And before you ask me why I think that, its 13 yrs experience.

LOL. I used to feed every other day. Now I feed every day. Either one will work. Every other day is alot better for water but every day is more natural for fish like tangs (if you dont have alot of algae) because they graze all the time.

Mine act hungry all the time and no matter how much or how often I feed them, they gobble it up like they've never eaten a day in their life!
I feed them twice a day everyday and somehow my water quality is perfect....I'm a newbie so I have no idea how that's happening.

Mine act hungry all the time and no matter how much or how often I feed them, they gobble it up like they've never eaten a day in their life!
I feed them twice a day everyday and somehow my water quality is perfect....I'm a newbie so I have no idea how that's happening.
Healthy fish eat....
If you put food in a healthy fish will eat ...
For the record i feed 3x daily,,sometimes 4..

I say it's better to over feed the under feed.

You can change water, you can't bring back a fish that starved to death.

That said, Over feeding a tank with out a good skimmer (Like an SWC), and/or that is not established is a great way to watch a tank crash, but a well established tank with a good skimmer, live rock, live sand, etc. I think is ok to over feed a little. Of course I don't mean to take 5 cubes of shrimp and dump it in the tank all at once. I usually put in a baby food jar 2 cubes of mysis, a pinch of flake and a cube of squid. Then I pour a small amount into the tank, let the fish feed, about 10-20 minutes later I put in a little more, etc unitll it's gone.

-TheChad

Feeding every other day is fine. I feed a well stocked 150 reef twice a week. the amount i put in is consumed in about 30 seconds. then i add an algae sheet. The fish are fat and healthy. You will know if your fish are starving by their girth and bones being exposed etc, just like other creatures.
I would be more concerned with variety, than quantity.

That`s pretty good advice Doug. From what I have read that sometimes fish eat in the wild every two weeks. The ideal amount to feed is every other day or like Doug every few days. IMO I would not feed more than that. Let me add a disclaimer though. Even though I do feed every other day on the off days I feed a sheet of dried seaweed on the off days for my tangs. Tangs need to forage.

I've fed the fish in my reef tank once every 3 days, and the fish in my fish-only tanks once a day for years.

I had azure damsels in each of each of the above set up's and there was no physical difference between azure's in either tank (that is until the damsel in the non-reef tank jumped out).

I have three
green chromis
Two humbugs
A yellow chromis or something I'm not sure what he is
A yellow tail damsel
A skunk shrimp
Snails and crabs

Aaaaanndddd.... :(
Two clown fish who were healthy until I got home this eve. I'm watching the baby die right now and the big one will soon. I think they have a fungus? White stuff. The big one has it in his mouth and didn't eat at all tonight. He usually eats soo much.

Attachments

• image-2043112179.jpg
    image-2043112179.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 107
The white stuff is worse today :(

Attachments

• image-4278698923.jpg
    image-4278698923.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
Yup, looks like ich to me. You should look into setting up a QT and treating the fish. Otherwise, they will most likely did. Once treated, your main display must stay "fishless" for about 6 weeks to ensure the ich dies off. Otherwise you will continue to have die-off.

Back
Top Bottom