steps when dosing kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Like to find out how u guy dose kalkwasser so that the dKH & calcium level are balance ?
If say, before we dose kalkwasser, we test the PH, dKH & the calcium level first.

Results: PH8.3
dKH=8
Ca=320

So when we dose kalkwasser for top-up, how do we make sure that the dKH & ca level are in the acceptable level ?

Do we need to test the dKH & ca level after each dosage of kalkwasser ?

Are we suppose to dose kalkwasser in term of the top-up level or dose as our tank volume ?

Is there any steps when dosing kalkwasser for top-up water level ?

So when we dose kalkwasser for top-up, how do we make sure that the dKH & ca level are in the acceptable level ?

I know its not very scientific but its kind of like trial and error. Start with dosing 1 tsp of kalk to 1 gal of water. Let this mixture (shaken not stired) sit for 24hours. Then drip it into your tank at a rate of 1 drop per sec. After dosing the kalk for a day or so check your levels. If your not seeing an effect then try to boost the kalk to water mixture slightly. Once you find a happy medium for your given tank you wont need to test so often.

You plan the mixture based upon the amount of water your mixing the kalk with and not your tank volume. Never add kalk powder directly to your tank and only dose the liquid part of the kalk mixture leaving the power thats left over at the bottom.

Why the need to wait 24hrs? I add 2 tbs. to a gal, shaken not stirred, let it sit a couple of hrs and slowdrip into the sump via an I.V. setup purchased at the local medical supply store. Been doing it for 2 years with no probs. Oh yeah, I start the drip at lights out.

I'm assuming that if you wait 24 hrs, you can be sure all the suspended particles that are not in solution will have settled to the bottom. Whereas only a couple of hours, there might still be a few suspended in the solution. They both probably work fine, but like many things in the hobby, it's probably just preference. And if I'm rambling like an idiot, just smack me. =]

[edit] And BTW, I love the IV idea! I'm gonna have to do that. [/edit]

You can get by with only waiting a few hours. The shortest I have ever waited is 8 hours. You dont want to add the kalk power do the tank if at al possible and waiting 24 hours is a good way of doing that. If you told people wait 8 hours then they might fudge it and only wait 4. or if you told them wait 2 hours then they might be in a rush and wait only 30min.

Its also good to add it slowly in a drip because kalkwasser has a very high PH and adding it to quick can cause a PH swing amongst other things.

Back
Top Bottom