Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

sterile QT and Cleanup Crew

I am about to start my QT back up because I want to add another fish to my main tank. Since I can't iodine dip a cleanup crew, I figure this may be a good time to add to my crew. I only have about 8-nassarius, 2-scarlet hermits, 2-astrea, 3-turbos and 3-margaritas and a hitchiker stombella and tons of little baby snails at night. But that is it for my 75-gallon, I have been wanting to get more but didn't want to just put them in without a QT or Dip.
My question is this, can I keep them alive for a month in the new QT without any rock or sand? Can I feed them algae waffers or Nori????
I think I need more snails and hermits.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not thinking the snails wouldn't do that well. especially the nassarius. Crabs'll do fine with pellets IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never quarantined snails or crabs. Yeah... since there's water that comes in with them, that water could harbor a parasite. But with a long acclimation, that water gets diluted a lot. And I shake as much off as I can when I put them into the main tank.

It's really a question of where your tolerance for risk is. For me... I draw the line at inverts.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

What I have been doing is QT all fish and iodine dip all coral to knock anything off of them and then do a swirl around in a separate container with tank water. I guess the dilution thing makes sense, maybe I will just do that. The only thing is I always find issues with at least one fish at all of the lfs and they circulate the water to wherever the snails/crabs are. Liveaquaria could be another option, then I won't see what if there is anything bad going on, so I won't worry about it.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Most of the time, with mobile inverts, you do not qt because the pathogens they may carry over (yes, it is possible) are not treatable without killing the invert. It is a matter of risk and perhaps a small one, who knows, but I would just acclimate them and add to the tank. Putting snails through quarantine is limiting food supply and with hermit crabs you are putting fiesty lil' buggers together in a small footprint which will lead to inevitable aggression and deaths including consuming the snails. If anything, they can all be rinsed in clean sw after acclimation.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alternatively, you can set up a dirty QT. I do this with my freshwater QT when getting Otocats. They HAVE to be QTed, but live off of biofilm, and often come in low on reserves. After doing a fishless cycle, keep adding fish food daily until you have a good coating of algae on the glass, then order your critters.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
uhh i dont get what this does, can someone explain the significance of a qt when you get new stuff? i have just been acclimating to the "main" tank and putting them in.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Read this - Quarantine

Ryshark, I drip acclimate for a couple of hours then scoop, swirl in a bucket of used tank water, then dump them in. Sure, there is still a slight risk, but I'm willing to absorb that amount of risk. If something bad does still get in, then it's time to teart down the tank again -- OUCH!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Also read this as far as what is a QT needed for. I too dont QT my inverts.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thanks for the advice. I am just going to treat them like I do coral and acclimate then swirl/shake them in tank water in a separate container and then put them in.
Hockeygmc- I used to just put stuff right into the main display also, but after dealing with ich, c. isopods and a possible eunicid or fireworm, I am much more skeptical now. I will always QT fish for at least 30-days now. Taking care of Ich sucks, and I dont want to have to do it again if I can avoid it.

Tags
clean, cleanup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com