Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sticky Idea?

I'm not qualified to right one as I have yet to buy my first, but has anyone thought about making a sticky or doing a review/comparison of protein skimmers? It seems like that is the most common equipment question that comes up.

Just a thought.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to FishGuy818
bak pak 2 skimmer dont get th rio pump they always back pump

Old 06-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
steve-s

Actually if your using the proper RIO RVT, they work just fine. I've used them with my BakPak for about 8 yrs without an issue. You just need to make sure you clean the air intakes of the pump to remove dried salts.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

steve have to tried any of the new rios?? curious if they fixed the issues my guess is yes due to i read that now they using a metal shaft unlike the old ceramic ones!! but if its still a screw on return i can see it getting to tight for it to spin !!
Old 06-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
steve-s

I recently purchased one about 6 months ago. The old one was so coralline encrusted and worn it was not worth "re-fininshing". I have not had a reason to take the new one apart but if you post/PM me a reminder I will take the new pump apart and post some pics for you this coming weekend. I still have the old one so I can also do a side by side if you like.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

that would be great i know what how the old ones worked/or didnt work and seen the new ones they look way different !! wanted to get a cheap ph around 1200 gph and think the via-aquas are way to big !! if you havnt had a prob yet with it starting i might have to give it a try !! but yes if ya can take a pic of the return love to see the change for sure !! my puffer loves to bite off the plastic strainer on maxijets just cause it sees a bit of food stuck to it hehehe which the rios have a larger screen which he cant get through !! my last rio 2500 got a short and would shock me bad when trying to restart it so it got thrown in the trash
Old 07-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
steve-s

Keep in mind this is a RIO RVT 600 meant for a skimmer but you'll not the impeller is metal.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-04-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

way different than mine !

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com