Still don't see pods. What's up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 9 month old tank with what's listed below. About March/April I added a hang-on fuge (about 2.5-3 gal) with rubble and cheato. I still don't see any pods - I think.

Any reason why not? Can anybody post a pic of pods to make sure I know what to look for? Thanks all.

They're pretty tough to spot. Do you have any tiny burrows (they look like lines) in your sand? They go from the top to the bottom of the sand bed.

Just look for little, teeny roaches :wink: darting in and out of rockwork. Or imagine teeny weeny shrimp. Grey or brown bodies and teeny antennae. An enlarged pic might not help you IMO since you won't be able to see'm with the naked eye. How much rock in your main? Oh, I see - 65 lbs. Shine a light on some of it @ night when you'll have the best chance of spotting them. Might have to introduce some, but I'd guess you have'm already. Check at nite time.

teeny weeny like a grain of sand or like a peppercorn you put into a pepper mill? I check for borrow lines but I don't think I've seen those. I'll also try and check at night.

As for the pic, I was hoping for a macro shot, you know, as if viewing with the naked eye. Maybe some spots or something might be visible

Most are like a grain of sand but some are larger. Here is a enlarged pic but there are many different kinds.

Any local reefers you can get some from? Your 6 line will make short work of them in your tank. You should be able to seem them easily in your fuge if you have them. Even with lights on I see tons of them in my fuge because they know there is nothing there to eat them so they are out all day and night. A never ending party....

brenden that pic is actually an amphipod. slighly larger and easier to spot. Copepods are very small and barely seen. youll have to sit there and look for a while...if you spot a little white buggish thing then its a copepod

I have a one year old tank, and I very rarely ever see pods in my tank. Once in awhile I'll seee something dart across the rock, but not a whole lot. I would look extra close when the lights come on. I've seen more that way then when the lights have been on all day.

I still don't see any pods - I think...Any reason why not?
Seeing that you have an active predator of pods(especially amphipods, etc.), a six-line wrasse, that will severely limit their population density. Regardless I think that you probably have some pods w/ 65lbs LR.

to help i have a piece of chaetomorpha in my tank behind the rock where they can breed. I have so many pods, i can spot at least one huge group on every pane of glass. And oh my, on the rock there are just hundreds. Too many to count.

Back
Top Bottom