Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
2-3 weeks in the life of our tanks is like a day in our lives if you think about the ecosystem aspect of thing. (No... I don't have any scientific proof for that statement, but it seems about right!) It's kind of like saying... "But I gave up smoking yesterday, so why am I still short of breath today?" The whole feedback loop aspect of the water parameters (sorry... engineer geek talk) takes a while to turn things around. If you aren't seeing any improvements over 2-3 MONTHS than I'd start thinking something is strange.

Even without knowing the phosphate numbers, it's probably not a bad idea to be running some ferric-oxide based Phosphate remover in the tank somewhere.

Oh... and get your priorities straight! Sheesh... wedding planning versus tanks issues! (Congrats, by the way!)

[Edit: just reread your CUC numbers. I think you'd have no problems adding like 10x the number of nassarius snails (the little ones) that you have already. 20-30 of them in a 55g would be a conservative number in my book. In addition, I'd get at least 10-15 of either astrea or trochus snails. Except for the turbo, you really don't have anything that will scrape the algae off your rocks.]

Hah the nerve huh? thanks!
That'll be my next purchase I'm sure. A test kit. some phosphate remover + more CUC members will I'm sure help. In the mean time I'll keep doing PWC. Hopefully by next week I can at least get a few more things to get the ball rolling. I appreciate the help as always

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Smile

I guess i can add a cent or two... ...I had the same problem right when I added my lighting system... I had a huge Diatoms out break along with Cyano and green hair Algae.... eventually my system started going threw a Nitrogen Cycle and I was doing more than 10 gallon water change to cut out the Phosphates I was feeding once a Day with frozen mysis and Brine... I stay away from the Flakes because flakes are high in Phosphates and will create Algae outbreaks especially over time if it's not all consumed right away.... Right now I have hardly no Algae left which my Kole Tang basically polish the rest of whatever algae was left in my system and LR... I love that little guy...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks!

- Melinda
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought a phosphate kit as well as 10 astrea snails today. I plan on getting a carbon hardness /calcium test here soon. I figure this was the best place to start.

Phosphate test kit is redsea, it looks as phosphate levels are between 0-0.1ppm ( slight green tinge, not at 0 but less green than 0.1) a lot less than I expected. Interesting. We'll see how this goes.

- Melinda
Old 02-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
IMO.. Sometimes it is hard to get a good Phos reading because of your Algae problem it will consume whatever Phosphates you have....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com