Still having algae problems / light q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long does it take to typically see improvement with algae issues?

Before I got my RO/DI I used treated tap which I'm sure didn't help, but I have been able to replace about 11 gallons with Ro/Di and use Ro/Di for top off. I plan to change another 5.5 gallons this wed. Ive even cut down my feeding to once a day to once every other day. Ive cut down lighting over the last few weeks from 11:30am- 8:30pm to 12:30-8:30 and is now at 1:30-8:30.

The thing is it seems my algae problem is getting worse. Im getting a lot of green hair algae proping up no matter what I do. I also am seeing some small spots of cyano. I did just order a korelia 3 to combat that.

I put my new lights on ( using 96 watt PC x 2 only for now) on christmas. It of course started after I put my lights on, and before I started with RO/DI. I bought the lights used and were told they were in use 2-3 months before I bought them.

At this point should I change my PC lights or just keep replacing with RO/Di in hopes that helps? I need help with how to change the lights if thats the case. it has a plastic covering that I cant seem to get off without breaking. Its this light: 48” Aqualight Pro, 2x150W HQI Fixture by Coralife* - AquaCave

Any help appreciated!!

I think you might have the light aspect covered but unfortunately that`s not the only fuel source there is. Lets`s switch to feeding now. What`s your feeding schedule look like and what do you feed? One thing I would definitely do is to siphon out as much as possible. The algea didnt happen over nite and it`s not going to go over nite either. Let`s focus on those excessive nutrients now.

I think you might have the light aspect covered but unfortunately that`s not the only fuel source there is. Lets`s switch to feeding now. What`s your feeding schedule look like and what do you feed? One thing I would definitely do is to siphon out as much as possible. The algea didnt happen over nite and it`s not going to go over nite either. Let`s focus on those excessive nutrients now.

I know it wont happen over night ( if only huh? ;) ) but I was hoping to at least see SOME improvement over 2-3 weeks. It seems to be getting worse.

I try to rub off / siphon out as much as possible, It seems to come quicker than I can get rid of it.

This is what I use: ( not all at once)
I use formula two flake ( only a small pinch and thats it when fed) or a small pinch of new life spectrum marine fish small pellets, or a 1/4 cube of frozen marine cuisine frozen. I also have dried seeweed ( usually about a 2x2 square)

I had been feeding a pinch of these twice a day ( main source of algae problems initially im sure, when it built up) but I am now I am doing this:
a small pinch of formula two flake OR a small pinch of pellet OR a 1/4 of frozen + a 2 x 2 seeweed piece every other day. I know the twice a day feeding did NOT help. Even with the every other day feedings, unfortunatly am still seeing lots of algae growing.

Should I feed even less? Or perhaps get a bigger CUC? Right now I have: 1 sally light foot, 1 emerald crab, 3 nassarius snails, about 6 hermits and one turbo. I'm also hoping wit hthe new Korelia it will increase the flow and push more of the 'junk' toward the protein skimmer.

Feed the pellets over flake. Feeding twice daily isn't bad if it is consumed. Also, do you have water params. inlcuding pH, Ca, Alk, and Phos?

Feed the pellets over flake. Feeding twice daily isn't bad if it is consumed. Also, do you have water params. inlcuding pH, Ca, Alk, and Phos?

All I have unfortunatly is Ph which is about 8.3-8.4. Ammonia is o, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate about 15 -20 ppm. Which Im sure with the other readings Id get a better idea, I know.. lol, sorry. Planning for a wedding and aquarium keeping is tough stuff ;)

I have yet to purchase a ca alk + phos kit, which I will do here probably this weekend/ next week. I already use API for the ammonia / nitrate / nitrite / ph.. is this kit pretty accurate when it comes to testing CA, carb hardness and Phos?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...1958/cl0/aquariumpharmaceuticalsreefmasterkit

I'm betting my Phos. is through the roof. I'm sure my tap water wasnt the best, which is probably where al lthe excess nutrients are coming from. I'm hoping once I replace more of the water it will help ( 5.5 gallons a week with RO/Di good? or try say a 50% ro/di change?) Right now theres about 40 gallons of pretreated tap vs about 10-15 gallons RO/Di

Pffft a wedding, as if anything could be more important than the life held within a small glass box *rolls eyes* lol ;) Until you have numbers it's all speculation regarding tap or the exact causes. You can add some carbon, a polyfilter or PO4 media (1/2 recommended initial dosage if you have corals), along with your water change (if you've been using tap prior too then most likely it isn't your problem and a result of the increased lighting causing a chain reaction).

Pffft a wedding, as if anything could be more important than the life held within a small glass box *rolls eyes* lol ;) Until you have numbers it's all speculation regarding tap or the exact causes. You can add some carbon, a polyfilter or PO4 media (1/2 recommended initial dosage if you have corals), along with your water change (if you've been using tap prior too then most likely it isn't your problem and a result of the increased lighting causing a chain reaction).

heheh. I know I try to make sure my little fishies are healthy too of course ;). I'll order that test kit and do another water change in the mean time. Im pretty sure whatever was in the water + increased lighting set off a chain reaction like you stated. I'm just frustrated it seems to not be getting any better. Grrr! LOL... I'll post test results as soon as I can get a kit.

Also put your frozen in a cup and swish it around and then pour off the liquid as that is mostly phosphates anyway.

I know it wont happen over night ( if only huh? ;) ) but I was hoping to at least see SOME improvement over 2-3 weeks. It seems to be getting worse.....

2-3 weeks in the life of our tanks is like a day in our lives if you think about the ecosystem aspect of thing. (No... I don't have any scientific proof for that statement, but it seems about right!) It's kind of like saying... "But I gave up smoking yesterday, so why am I still short of breath today?" The whole feedback loop aspect of the water parameters (sorry... engineer geek talk) takes a while to turn things around. If you aren't seeing any improvements over 2-3 MONTHS than I'd start thinking something is strange.

Even without knowing the phosphate numbers, it's probably not a bad idea to be running some ferric-oxide based Phosphate remover in the tank somewhere.

Oh... and get your priorities straight! Sheesh... wedding planning versus tanks issues! :rolleyes: (Congrats, by the way!)

[Edit: just reread your CUC numbers. I think you'd have no problems adding like 10x the number of nassarius snails (the little ones) that you have already. 20-30 of them in a 55g would be a conservative number in my book. In addition, I'd get at least 10-15 of either astrea or trochus snails. Except for the turbo, you really don't have anything that will scrape the algae off your rocks.]

2-3 weeks in the life of our tanks is like a day in our lives if you think about the ecosystem aspect of thing. (No... I don't have any scientific proof for that statement, but it seems about right!) It's kind of like saying... "But I gave up smoking yesterday, so why am I still short of breath today?" The whole feedback loop aspect of the water parameters (sorry... engineer geek talk) takes a while to turn things around. If you aren't seeing any improvements over 2-3 MONTHS than I'd start thinking something is strange.

Even without knowing the phosphate numbers, it's probably not a bad idea to be running some ferric-oxide based Phosphate remover in the tank somewhere.

Oh... and get your priorities straight! Sheesh... wedding planning versus tanks issues! :rolleyes: (Congrats, by the way!)

[Edit: just reread your CUC numbers. I think you'd have no problems adding like 10x the number of nassarius snails (the little ones) that you have already. 20-30 of them in a 55g would be a conservative number in my book. In addition, I'd get at least 10-15 of either astrea or trochus snails. Except for the turbo, you really don't have anything that will scrape the algae off your rocks.]

Hah the nerve huh? ;) thanks!
That'll be my next purchase I'm sure. A test kit. some phosphate remover + more CUC members will I'm sure help. In the mean time I'll keep doing PWC. Hopefully by next week I can at least get a few more things to get the ball rolling. I appreciate the help as always :)

I guess i can add a cent or two... :)...I had the same problem right when I added my lighting system... I had a huge Diatoms out break along with Cyano and green hair Algae.... eventually my system started going threw a Nitrogen Cycle and I was doing more than 10 gallon water change to cut out the Phosphates I was feeding once a Day with frozen mysis and Brine... I stay away from the Flakes because flakes are high in Phosphates and will create Algae outbreaks especially over time if it's not all consumed right away.... Right now I have hardly no Algae left which my Kole Tang basically polish the rest of whatever algae was left in my system and LR... I love that little guy... (y)

I bought a phosphate kit as well as 10 astrea snails today. I plan on getting a carbon hardness /calcium test here soon. I figure this was the best place to start.

Phosphate test kit is redsea, it looks as phosphate levels are between 0-0.1ppm ( slight green tinge, not at 0 but less green than 0.1) a lot less than I expected. Interesting. We'll see how this goes.

IMO.. Sometimes it is hard to get a good Phos reading because of your Algae problem it will consume whatever Phosphates you have....

Back
Top Bottom