Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

A fuge will definitely help. Any calerpa or cheato will definitely eat up nitrates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

With live rock and a skimmer, why run an HOB filter? Seems like that may be the culprit.

EDIT: I have a 55G non-drilled and run an overflow into a sump in the base. I replace the aqualifter pump every six weeks as a precaution and so far I haven't had any problems with it...good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmel View Post
I was just using the regular activated carbon pads. They get dirty quick. I clean them off at my PWC every week and they're dirty as can be. Do you think turning this into a fuge instead would work better? Sure seems like it from the sound of it
FWIW, activated carbon is only good for ~6-7 days and then all it does is leach everything back into the AQ. Instead of cleaning the carbon pads I would replace them...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
FWIW, activated carbon is only good for ~6-7 days and then all it does is leach everything back into the AQ. Instead of cleaning the carbon pads I would replace them...
Good advice and this is exactly what I was going to suggest.

I would forgo using the HOB as a fuge. It's just not big enough to do a lot. I would save up or work towards getting a HOB overflow and a sump with fuge. The added water volume will help as well.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

when i was changing from fowlr to reef i had high nitrate and phosphate which will not work with a reef tank so this is what i did bought myself a ro/di system got a sump/fuge did water change lots of it and now i could keep stuff that i wouldn't be able to in my tank.

so you would be best to get a ro/di sytem and a fuge and micro algae will help a lot.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, I may have missed this but do you use tap or ro/di water?
How many gallons do you replace when you do a water change?
How often do you change water?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

It depends on the nitrate issue in your circumstance. For instance your having high nitrate issues. If your HOB filter has been removed, and your high nitrates are still an issue after everything has been changed then you would want to do more partial water changes. Maybe twice weekly instead of once weekly? The ro-di water would help a lot with that. The fuge will also help a lot with nitrates. The hob filter is probably becoming a factory for nitrates at the moment, so honestly i would take that off there for a while and see if you notice any differences if yuou already havent.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I use RO/DI and do about a 10-20% water change weekly depending on what I have in my storage container.

You think its safe to say I can remove my HOB filter?

Also any links on how to add /what to buy a fuge for my tank would be great. - Quite honestly I'm completely clueless as to how to go about doing this... LOL. I want to make sure I do it right.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only two reasons I can see for having a HOB filter, assuming you have adequate live rock, is to either run some type of chemical filtration or to have a seeded biological filter than you can put on a QT at a moment's notice. You should have adequate bacteria in the tank by now that the HOB filter isn't doing anything for you there. It wouldn't hurt to remove it for a few months and see if it does anything. You can always put it back on if things don't change.

I wouldn't do too much at once though. Take the HOB off if you want, but give it a few months before you make the next move like a fuge. That way, you'll know what exactly did it. If you do everything at once, and things improve, you won't really know what helped you - the elimination of the HOB or the addition of the refugium.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
i have two hob filters.. (emperor 400's) and a canister filter on my 125. i have no nitrates to speak of... also using cheato in the 10g sump though..

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com