Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
i have two hob filters.. (emperor 400's) and a canister filter on my 125. i have no nitrates to speak of... also using cheato in the 10g sump though..
I could only see those causing issues in the long run. however your chaeto is most likely tearing up your nitrates.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Thanks... I'll try removing the HOB and adding a bit of cheato to the main until I get a sump going to see if that helps. Thanks!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
If you have 80lbs of LR ditch the HOB and get a HOB Skimmer with 2 Koralia's if you have any current or flow in your take already. CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ skimmer would work perfect for your system.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
Thanx but no.....

she has a skimmer

'Buy a more expensive skimmer? ( I have the coralife rated up to 65 gallons.. seems to be making good skimmate though)'
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
she has a skimmer

'Buy a more expensive skimmer? ( I have the coralife rated up to 65 gallons.. seems to be making good skimmate though)'
Oops. Sorry...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Melinda, Kurt is giving you great advice. It's the only way to truely trouble shoot your problem. Nothing happens fast except errors in a SW tank so take it slow and you should be Okay.
TC
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh... shucks.

But seriously, I don't have a problem with HOB filters, and my gut feel is that it isn't causing the problem here. Catmel strikes me as someone that is pretty meticulous when it comes to tank maintenance. And I know for a fact that HOBs filters don't equal nitrates. I have two myself and have barely measurable nitrates (0.5-1.0) that are just a little over my freshly made salt water.

BUT... it also won't hurt to remove it for a while and see what happens. If nothing improves, at least that's one more thing to cross off the list.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Ahhh... shucks.

But seriously, I don't have a problem with HOB filters, and my gut feel is that it isn't causing the problem here. Catmel strikes me as someone that is pretty meticulous when it comes to tank maintenance. And I know for a fact that HOBs filters don't equal nitrates. I have two myself and have barely measurable nitrates (0.5-1.0) that are just a little over my freshly made salt water.

BUT... it also won't hurt to remove it for a while and see what happens. If nothing improves, at least that's one more thing to cross off the list.
heh Thanks I do try to take care of my fishies. To a point I actually enjoy tank maintance. I turned off my HOB filter, going to try it for a bit untl I can afford to get a sum / fuge.

Are there any good 'how to' type sites for adding a sump to a non drilled tank? I'm quite clueless there.

I appreciate everyones help so far tons!!

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

I just put one together on my 55.... Depending on how big your stand is I would recommend a 20Gallon Sump/ Refugium for your system or larger if you can fit one under your tank. I had to do a 10gallon since I only had room just for that. Check out what I did with mine.
The Over flow box I got is an Eshopps off of RC for real cheap almost brand new if you can find someone that is offering one for you I would get it. 2nd I got a Return Pump, I think Mag Drives are a good brand to get I have the Mag 7 since my Overflow was rated for 800GPH my Mag7 is rated for 700GPH this should do the just fine.

Here is my Sump I drill the hole myself with a 45mm Glass drill bit from BRS.

You will have to do some plumbing If you do it you can use 1' PVC piping

Return Side
Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Here is the sump and refugium under the tank.

Finished

The reason I drilled the tank was becasue I was going to attach a second 10Gallon tank as a whole Refugium But when I was plumbing them together I cracked it. I put to much pressure moving it around. Just in case if you were wondering.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com