Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Wow looks great. I just have to figure out how to do all this LOL.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
its really not that complicated when you sit down and just do it. if you keep looking around and wondering whats involved.. its more complicated than it really will be. that was the case for me anyways.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
its really not that complicated when you sit down and just do it. if you keep looking around and wondering whats involved.. its more complicated than it really will be. that was the case for me anyways.
If you use glass, care. Don't be like me an cut yourself :p
Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I would look on You Tube, There are a lot of video's that should show you how to put a Sump together with a Fuge.... That's how I figured out what I wanted to do....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmel View Post

Is it ok just to throw lots of macro algae into the HOB? I dont need a special light or anything over it /extra to turn it into a hob fuge/algae holder do I?

Btw, any algae better than the other to use? Eg : cheato over culerpa etc?
i would like to now this as well wat type of lighting does this alage need to survive?
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
Chaeto Chaetomorpha macro algae - eBay (item 260410597727 end time May-21-09 11:15:00 PDT)
is this a good alage for a fuge
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Thanks as always

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I would stick to your standard 6500k-10k bulbs for macroalgae growth. Some people keep their lighting on 24/7; however, a reverse daylight cycle is sufficient. I personally like the Aqualight Mini, but on a whole depends on the size of your refugium. The macroalgae will eventually have to be trimmed of excessive growth or asexual behavior can develope regardless of your lighting sequence. If you dose chemicals, make sure you dose before the intake of your return and after your refugium due to chemical concentrations possibly causing your macroalgae to turn asexual. The best macroalgaes to utilize are Chaetomorpha and Grape Caulerpa (Caulerpa racemosa seems to be most popular, but there are other "grape" varieties). Due to the sheer size Chaetomorpha can attain in a refugium, it would be wise to keep it well trimmed so not to encroach other macroalgae species and also prevent detritus buildup. Refugiums need alot of flow to keep the macroalgaes flush.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
i cheated a little with my cheato... i had a old beretta water filter gallon.. thing... a jug lol whatever... i put it in there... put my feed line into that jug first.. then let it fall into the refuge... then do its thing... that way the cheato is in one spot. and not just taking over my refuge =D ill submit a pic in a bit.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #40

Keep in mind this was my first feeble attempt at a sump/refuge.. so yeah.. its not that pretty lol

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com