Still trying to figure out what rock to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Still trying to figure out what rock to buy. What rock do you have in your tank that you use for your corals and fish?

Thanks

I have a combination of Fiji, marshall island and tonga LR. I got all my LR "live". You really dont have to. Try using a majority of base rock and seed it with a little LR and it will be muuch cheaper.

+1 I used 100 lbs of base ($ 1.79lb.) for my 90 gal. i bought 1 lb of fiji from petco 8 weeks later and every thing is covered with purple algee My LFS only sells FLA. live rock at $8.99 lb. I used the extra cash to buy a MP 40

Anything with a lot of stuff on it will work well. The more biodiversity you can introduce on the live rock the better the tank will run long term.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I've just been a little brain dead. Procrastinating buy rock because wasn't sure how things "sat" on the rocks, if I needed "flat" or not. Dense/Porous and making "cave". This coral higher in tank, this one lower and so forth. I have a whopping three pieces and I have my water lowered to just covering them. Added some sand last night but before I bought more rock, I've been "playing" with trying to get the rock in various positions and they keep toppling over. So I would be danged if I bought anymore and have them topple and break my tank. The rock I'm seeing online is good, (base or line) but what I see I can't seem to figure "the puzzle" out yet. I didn't want to try to figure out 1 piece this 1 piece that. I'd like to get the rock in at once cause I don't want to add it later and mess everything up.

I should add, I've been looking at alot of tanks here and out on web. glue or not to glue. Arrangements and all so my critters do be happy in their home. :)

I did'nt want to glue my rock so i drilled it and made pins from 1/4 in fiberglass rods my rocks lock like legos you can break your large rock into smaller pieces, save the rubble to use in your sump.

I haven't glued any of my rock in any tank. LOL I change my mind too often for that.

I got my base rock from reefcleaners. :)

Thanks everyone, last night I ordered 100 pounds base rock from reef cleaners. 50 of each kind. Hoping I can mix and match and come up with nooks and cranny's and such. I was hoping not to glue also cause I have a habit of rearranging. I hope the mixture will be easier to give "stability". I don't want a fish to get clunked on the head.

How do corals and anmeones (sp) and such stay on the rock? I was reading various lighting and placing they like. So when I do get decide what I want I can have the right layout. Haven't gone to far with that yet, but it says some like to be high in tank and some medium and some low, how do I make the various hights? Because don't they move around and pick they're own "spot" or do they stay were I put them?

That's was one hold up with rock decision. The where they attach and how they attach so I can form the the rock layout with all that in mind, like needing shelves or is "shelves" just a look preference. I have a hard time placing the different shapes I have to make a shelf lol. I like the shelf idea and look I've seen cause it looks like I can make a "tunnel" or two, want a cave also. So am hoping with the variety coming in the mail that the stuff will allow me to do that without cutting, pinning and gluing.

And I don't want to just "pile" it in there and have a blob. My live rock I bought was 25 pounds and there are only 3 pieces so they are pretty hefty to move, but making a shelf cause only one piece could be place on top to form the shelf/tunnel and it's the heavyiest one. I couldn't get it to rest solidily on the other two. The pic in my profile shows the 3. It's sitting on the top but one slight touch from me and over it goes. :(

You [place your corals where you want, they dont move. ;-)

You just find a spot on the rockwork that matches it's needs ie: higher up for say SPS corals, near the top of your rockwork and mushrooms can be on the bottom sandbed. Corals will be attached to a rock or plug when you buy them so you can be creative.

Anenmomes move about freely until they find a place they like with good light and water flow. You have no control over them. Part of the reason I rehomed mine, I was always worried it was gonna move around and it was huge!

And I don't want to just "pile" it in there and have a blob. My live rock I bought was 25 pounds and there are only 3 pieces so they are pretty hefty to move, but making a shelf cause only one piece could be place on top to form the shelf/tunnel and it's the heavyiest one. I couldn't get it to rest solidily on the other two. The pic in my profile shows the 3. It's sitting on the top but one slight touch from me and over it goes. :(

You'll see, with 100lbs of rock coming you will fill up your tank! And yeah, you kinda just pile it in there and presto you'll have a rockscape. It seems haphazard now but when you get into it you'll see. I would save any flatter rocks you get in the mail for the top pieces or shelves. It's really no9t as hard as you think. TRUST me, I have ZERO creativity but my tanks look ok. :)

You [place your corals where you want, they dont move. ;-)

You just find a spot on the rockwork that matches it's needs ie: higher up for say SPS corals, near the top of your rockwork and mushrooms can be on the bottom sandbed. Corals will be attached to a rock or plug when you buy them so you can be creative.

Anenmomes move about freely until they find a place they like with good light and water flow. You have no control over them. Part of the reason I rehomed mine, I was always worried it was gonna move around and it was huge!

Thanks.

I've seen pic of rock/plug when looking but then do I need to make a hole for the plug?

Wasn't gonna ask here but after research I can't figure how to get flow around all the rock and where the flow would need to be and on top of that how much flow. I don't want my critters on the back of the rock where I can't see them but I don't want the rock on the back wall, I've read that's not a good idea.

Wanted to try to keep most of those type in my build thread so I have everything in one spot. Especially since I bought the additional sand and still have a good 35 pounds in the bag, cause once the sand settled and I see that I need to move it around in the tank, that what I had was plenty (beside wanting to add the black) hence, my thought, how to store this sand now, looks like I may have another tank later on and also when I ordered the rock, I am not sure if I will have "left over" -hmm I could use it in another tank. hahahahaha so that "2nd" tank has already sprouted before I ordered the rock. lol

Cut a piece of cardboard the size of your tanks footprint then dry scape your rock, this way you can see how it will look from all sides take pics so you can keep it the way you like. use a 1.5 in pvc pipe as a funnel to place your sand around and behind your rocks. I hid a small PH behind my rocks and once a week i make a storm with it blows any thing out were i can get to it.

Got email today. My rock has been shipped. Woohoo! Their service is awesome! He kept me updated and even asked me what I wanted. Told him what I was looking to do and sent my stuff out AND wants to know how I like it when it comes in. Shows he cares! Hats off and +1!:D

Back
Top Bottom