Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

STILL very dissappointed in my overnight over

So in my last post I was not real thrilled with the packaging or the fact that I only got 1/2 of my order from The Drs. I called them numerous times with a new death toll and in the process told them that IF they shipped the other 1/2 to do Fed-X pick up & use enough heat packs. Well I get a call on wednesday @ 5:00 pm saying they shipped the other half of my order standard overnight. Look for an e-mail with the tracking info. A few problems with this. I manage 3 offices. I cant just not go to work because I have fish coming. Thats why I order for weekend delivery. Anyway, glad to finally get the rest of my stuff so I wait up uintil 1 to get my e-mail, call Fed-x and ask them if I can pick up my package instead of delivery to save on time. They were great and changed the shippment to pick up. I take my stuff home and yet again the bags are ice cold, my star is not red as I ordered but tan and sadly in about 8 pieces. So far this company has KILLED 5 living animals in just my order alone. This does not sound responsible nor does it sound like the kind of company I want to give my business to. They did refund all my money but that is not the point I am trying to get at. The senceless killing of WC animals is not acceptable to me. ... I can say without a doubt, I will NEVER order from them again.... WOW, thanks for letting me vent

Old 01-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
steve-s

I feel your pain.

The very sad fact is it's all about "bean counting". As long as the success far outweighs the loss, it will continue. Companies of this type are still a great asset and money saver for dry good, equipment and such but I personally never use them for livestock.

As much as we dread the cost and lack of selection at most LFS, they are still the better option for livestock choices. Finding one that has any ethical standards can prove to be just as frustrating though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
cj10488

I have personally never had a bad experience with them.. I usually always make sure that the temp outside is a pretty decent temp.. The only livestock that DOA was a mandrin goby.. Other than that I have had no other issues..

James
Old 01-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Can you tell us what your nightly lows are for your area around this time of year? Heat packs are not designed to be heaters but instead they are designed to buffer the cool (note i said cool) air outside the packaging to keep the inside somewhat warmer than it would be without the heat packs.

Was the live stock in a styroafoam box with a lid that was styrofoam?

If you search this site you will find many folks have gotten livestock from liveaquaira with no issues what so ever. Honestly I think alot of the issues you had where a result of the cold weather.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think so too but I was concerned with this so I called them before I ever placed the order & was told no problem... I was also told the same thing from Mac & sons but their coral shippment came with 4 heat packs not one..Coral are easier to ship then fish thoe.... Oh well, Like I siad I need to vent. I think its the total disreagrd for reef live that makes me mad.....
Old 01-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I actually wanted to palce an order with liveaquaria.com next week but am worried abuot the 30 degree weather here. What temp do you guys prefer to order shipments in. I can pick up the package at the local carrier so that should help some assuming I'm there at 9am or whenever they open.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
cj10488

I would suggest that you wait until spring time or so.. I think the night time temps are too cold for most of the region to be ordering livestock online Reguardless of company..

HTH<
James

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com