Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about when it lives? ,its been in a 55 gal tank for six months a 125 will be allot better i would think ,how about the info i posted above that states needs to be in a tank 75 or bigger-how about it states that getting it to eat is the harest
If this is a tank raised ray and is eating good I cant see the problem

Old 06-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
zacdl

When it lives?

How about IF it lives.

Would you rather listen to people on here (who I know some of them have tons of knowledge in everything saltwater, like Hara) or an online store that just wants your sale?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

is anyone reading the post above on this fish??
allot of nagativity here ,the post above states getting them to eat is the trick ,this one has been in a 55 gal for six months and eats like a pig ,the post above states 75gal or bigger, i have a 125 ,can't see the problem ,this ray hand feeds and is doing fine
Memeory refresher
Minimum Tank Length/Size:
A minimum 75 gallon aquarium is recommended

Maintenance difficulty:
The Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray is fairly easy to keep once it is feeding on it's own. .
Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #14
zacdl

Fairly easy compared to clownfish.

Rays need deep sandbeds, lots of room, good water conditions, etc, etc, etc. Mostly which just zoos have.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

memory refresher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintenance difficulty:
The Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray is fairly easy to keep once it is feeding on it's own. .
Minimum Tank Length/Size:
A minimum 75 gallon aquarium is recommended

allot of nagativity here ,terrible thing to fish death on a fish
makes me wonder
Old 06-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I listen to all and try to obsorb but how can I ignor the post that i found thats written by an expert in the field ,for osmeone like me who does not know its confusing because books out there tell you one thing and fish stores tell yyou another so I tend to go with the books and that post above is out of a book so I dont know who to listen to
Old 06-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #17
zacdl

Like I said if you have the budget to do it right, try it.

Just dont be surprised if it doesnt make it.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
from wetwebmedia.com:

eniura lymna (Forsskal 1775), the Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray (3) (aka the Bluespotted Stingray in the pet-fish trade). Indo-West Pacific, including the Red Sea. To fourteen inches in width. A commonly offered species in the ornamental marine interest, but rarely lives... due to shipping trauma, being kept in too-small quarters, lack of oxygen, scratches and subsequent infections... An aquarium and Red Sea specimen shown.

Please note the part about being kept in too-small quarters. Just because one has lived (for awhile) in a too small place, does nto mean it SHOULD live like that. Note also the 14 inch WIDTH of the fish and tell me you have enough room for it to bury itself in the sand.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #19
zacdl

Yep, like I said...

If you have the budget to keep it (Large aquarium is the main cost, next is filtration, etc) go for it.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #20
zacdl

Oh, I also think the infection is a big one too....

You arent suppsoed to keep anything sharp around, and only supposed to keep soft sand.

Tags
ray, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com