STING RAY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EXVISOR13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any info on sting rays, a coworker has a blue spotted sting ray, has had it for 6 months in a 55 gal tank ,I heard they don't do well but can't find any info ,i wanted to do something different ,was thinking either some angels or a sting ray to go with my puffer
My puffer is about 12 inches long, he is tank raised and never been with other fish , I put a 1 inch wrase in there with him, he was afraid of it ,yes a 12 inch puffer afraid of a 1 inch wrase ,he is the gentle giant so I can put anything in with him as long as its not agressive for his safety :wink:
Anyway he is a unique and fun fish was thinking of putting a blue ray in there as well

Sting rays are only for EXPERTS to keep (Mostly zoos and etc).

Unless you know what you are doing, do not get a ray.

If you are determined to keep one, ask the co-worker to watch how he cares for it for a few months, help him feed it, etc so you can learn about how to keep the thing.

Like I said my coworker has one, (not the brightest guy) has not been doing fish long but he bought one about six months ago and its doing fine

Rays require large sandy places, they burrow into the sand. The smallest recommended tank size I have ever seen for this is 180 gallons. Expert only.
Two feet minimum width of the sand bed.

Please think real hard before getting one of these creatures.

Oops, I forgot to add that. I guess Hara mentioned it.

I think the minimum I have heard of is 210 gallons.

You need to think REALLY hard.

SMALL SMALL chance it will live. Most rays cost over $100, and NONE come with a guarentee after they sell it to you.

Maintenance difficulty:
The Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray is fairly easy to keep once it is feeding on it's own. .

Maintenance:
Feed all kinds of large meaty foods like small pieces of fish, squid, shrimp, crabs, prawns, molluscs, and live goldfish. Best to feed small amounts several times a day. Water in the aquarium should not be from the tap due to trace amounts of copper and other contaminants. It is best to use reverse osmosis or deionized.

Habitat: Natural geographic location:
Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray are found from East Africa to the Western Pacific. Often seen on the Great Barrier Reef resting on sandy bottoms of caves or under ledges.

Foods:
In the wild they feed on crabs, prawns, worms, molluscs, and fishes.

Social Behaviors:
Gets along with its own kind and other fish. Watch smaller fish as they could become lunch although they usually leave other fish alone unless they are acting sick or distressed.

Sex: Sexual differences:
Unknown.

Light: Recommended light levels:
No special requirements.

Breeding/Reproduction:
Unknown.

Temperature:
No special requirements.

Length/Diameter of fish:
Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray adults can grow to 25 cm (10 inches) not including the tail.

Minimum Tank Length/Size:
A minimum 75 gallon aquarium is recommended.

Water Movement: Weak, Moderate, Strong
No special requirements.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom
Usually found on the bottom, sifting through the sand. Will sometimes bury itself in the sand.

Availability:
This fish is available from time to time

You need a deep sand bed. 6", and a large tank (like hara said)

Compared to other rays, yes. It may be easier to maintain.

That is not compared to your average joe clownfish.

Dont get one unless you just have money to burn and wont care if it dies or not. They cost alot of money (as well as the setup), and chances are it will die.

I here you and i do have a deep sand bed ans also a 125 gal tank with just one fish in it ,after reading that link i found that a 75 or better will work and the blue spotted seems to be easy, also i found a small tank raised one so I am going to give it a shot

How about when it lives? ,its been in a 55 gal tank for six months a 125 will be allot better i would think ,how about the info i posted above that states needs to be in a tank 75 or bigger-how about it states that getting it to eat is the harest
If this is a tank raised ray and is eating good I cant see the problem

When it lives?

How about IF it lives.

Would you rather listen to people on here (who I know some of them have tons of knowledge in everything saltwater, like Hara) or an online store that just wants your sale?

is anyone reading the post above on this fish??
allot of nagativity here ,the post above states getting them to eat is the trick ,this one has been in a 55 gal for six months and eats like a pig ,the post above states 75gal or bigger, i have a 125 ,can't see the problem ,this ray hand feeds and is doing fine
Memeory refresher
A minimum 75 gallon aquarium is recommended

Maintenance difficulty:
The Blue Spotted Stingray or Blue-spotted Ribbontail Ray is fairly easy to keep once it is feeding on it's own. .

Fairly easy compared to clownfish.

Rays need deep sandbeds, lots of room, good water conditions, etc, etc, etc. Mostly which just zoos have.

memory refresher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintenance difficulty:
A minimum 75 gallon aquarium is recommended

allot of nagativity here ,terrible thing to fish death on a fish
makes me wonder

I listen to all and try to obsorb but how can I ignor the post that i found thats written by an expert in the field ,for osmeone like me who does not know its confusing because books out there tell you one thing and fish stores tell yyou another so I tend to go with the books and that post above is out of a book so I dont know who to listen to

Like I said if you have the budget to do it right, try it.

Just dont be surprised if it doesnt make it.

from wetwebmedia.com:

eniura lymna (Forsskal 1775), the Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray (3) (aka the Bluespotted Stingray in the pet-fish trade). Indo-West Pacific, including the Red Sea. To fourteen inches in width. A commonly offered species in the ornamental marine interest, but rarely lives... due to shipping trauma, being kept in too-small quarters, lack of oxygen, scratches and subsequent infections... An aquarium and Red Sea specimen shown.

Please note the part about being kept in too-small quarters. Just because one has lived (for awhile) in a too small place, does nto mean it SHOULD live like that. Note also the 14 inch WIDTH of the fish and tell me you have enough room for it to bury itself in the sand.

Yep, like I said...

If you have the budget to keep it (Large aquarium is the main cost, next is filtration, etc) go for it.

Oh, I also think the infection is a big one too....

You arent suppsoed to keep anything sharp around, and only supposed to keep soft sand.

Back
Top Bottom