Stinging Leather toadstool!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone had any experience with a stinging leather toadstool? This evening, it's sweeper tentacles are the longest I've ever seen them. How dangerous are it's stings? Gonna get it out if it's gonna damage everything else. Any suggestions? Cheers

I have never had any trouble with mine.I think they are only feeder tentacles and don't actually damage other corals.

Leathers dont sting other corals. They wage chemical warfare when they seem to think someone is encroaching their space. That`s why you need to have 5-6 inches space between them and other corals. They have tenacles but not sweepers.

Thanks guys. Ricksreef, I'm sure they are not feeders, they look like long thin thin threads with smaller threads along the length.

Melosu, I have carbon in the sump, so hopefully that will help with the chemicals. Do you think the tentacles are of concern to it's neighbours? Fully outstretched, the tentacles are at least 20-30cm.

Joel2011 said:
Thanks guys. Ricksreef, I'm sure they are not feeders, they look like long thin thin threads with smaller threads along the length.

Can you get a picture.You may have a spaghetti worm in or beside your coral.

Hi ricksreef, it's typical, not doing it tonight! I have googled spaghetti worm as per your suggestion, and it's not that. The tentacles are very fine, more like long filaments. When they touch something, they quickly retract, then go back to drifting in the current. I think they might be sticky as saw one kind of slightly seem to stick on a passing fish, but the fish didn't react.

image-2842234935.jpg

Can you see it under the blues?

Attachments

• image-692766189.jpg
    image-692766189.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 111
Is it clear? And stringy? If so, it's just chemical war fare in the tank. Someone is getting in the personal bubble of the toadstool. Try moving it away from other corals. Leathers don't sting- but they like their space

Joel2011 said:
Can you see it under the blues?

Probably a spionid worm.
Either way I have them to and they are just filter feeders and won't harm anything.Here is a picture of one I had when I first set up my 75 .I don't ever see it anymore,but you can see it put out what looked like a net to collect food.It is just above the center rock and streams off to the right.

Attachments

• image-3242963461.jpg
    image-3242963461.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom