Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
The ray will certainly eat the shrimp when given the chance. I have had a cleaner shrimp for years and it has never "cleaned" any of my fish. If your getting it for that, I would save yourself the money. I have also had cleaner fish (neon and shark nose gobies) and they have never cleaned my fish either. I think it works different in the ocean and may be for specific species that live together in the wild. And as stated above, nothing eats ich.

Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My cleaner shrimp does clean my fish, even tries to clean my fingers too. That said I do not think they remove ich, nor should someone purchase one for that reason. I do like cleaner shrimps though! Would be sad if it was just lunch for the ray...

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
True. My cleaner shrimp picks any scabs or cuts or dead skin I may have. They have great personalities and make are a great inhabitants. Sad it be, for ray to eat. (sorry I sounded like yoda)
Bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a blue spotted stingray and cleaner shrimp together, and they have been doing great. The stingray always allows the cleaner shrimp to clean it. I also had the same cleaner shrimp with a yellow head moray eel and the moray would leave it's mouth open so the cleaner shrimp could clean it. This same moray eel killed about 10 of smaller fish, so it was strange it never ate my shrimp. This my experience though, and other people may have completely different experience with both.
edgard786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Cleaner shrimp are usually the only viable possibility, especially with a reasonably sized moray (not worth a meal to them) and even certain pipefish serve as residential "cleaners" for some morays

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp, sting, stingray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com