Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Stinky Water?

I was re-doing some rock work and moving corals around so I did a larger than usual pwc, about 20g maybe. While I was messing with the rock I noticed it smelt like the ocean kinda, maybe like a stinky piece of seaweed...I have a protein skimmer that I run and empty every 2 days.

Readings are as follows:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5
ph 8.3
temp. 79

I've never noticed this smell before, it seems to be the rock I think but it could be the water too. lol

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would just like to say congrats on the nitrate level. Its hard to maintain a level that low.

As far as the smell... I doubt it's something to worry about. I have noticed it myself. It doesn't sound like that sulfuric, rotten egg smell that you get with die off on live rock.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's just an oceany at like low tide kinda smell I'd guess.

thanks, i am a nitrate fiend so I'm usually under 5. lol
Love that the salifert tests go that low, makes me feel like I've done a good job.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thats good to know that they make one that goes that low. I used to be a reef fanatic and then got out of the hobby for a couple of years. I'm just getting back into it and a lot has changed. 20 ppm used to be as low a they would go.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I believe the salifert goes even lower if you use it on low resolution. All their tests are top notch but a little pricey. I would highly recommend them.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
It's just an oceany at like low tide kinda smell job.
...that 's kinda like perfume to us saltwater guys
Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, if you have worked near the ocean, or done a lot of diving, it is the smell of saltwater that is alive.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL Thanks guys.

I've only had the sw tanks up since the beginning of the year and I've never caught this scent before so I was worried.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My wife hates that smell, doesn't bother me though! To me it almost smells like it has a SLIGHT HINT of skimmate smell.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

YES! Exactly! I love the smell of the ocean, I lived on the beach for a few months when I moved to Florida. BUT this was stronger adn kinda had a hint of nasty to it so I thought maybe theres a reason.

Would it matter at all that I recently had a bloom of millions of pods? They literally were covering my glass like a swarm. They aren't like that now, only lasted a few days but could that be added organic material that maybe caused the excess smell?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com