Stock for a 125?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
We're coming along with our 125 reef build. It's finally up and cycling!. So, the next step is pre-planning what we would like to put in it and we're looking for advice.
Our current stock...
1 yellow tang
1 watchman goby
1 clown
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 cleaner shrimp and misc crabs and snails
CORALS: 1 kenya tree, zoas & GSP

Here are some fish we are interested in, but really have no idea what combo would work best. That's where you come in ;)

another Tang - can this work with us already having a yellow? type?
Flame Angel
another watchman goby - can they go together?
sleeper gold head goby
bi-color dotty back / splendid dotty back
teardrop butterfly
coral beauty angel
bi-color angel
fox face
Wrasse
blenny - harptail or striped

**Other suggestions welcome!!

We're coming along with our 125 reef build. It's finally up and cycling!. So, the next step is pre-planning what we would like to put in it and we're looking for advice.
Our current stock...
1 yellow tang
1 watchman goby
1 clown PAIR?
1 yellow tailed damsel Get territorial sometimes, so watch out.
1 cleaner shrimp and misc crabs and snails Crabs can become aggressive, watch out. Snails and hermits will be fine and cleaner will be fine. I would get 2 cleaners. Make sure you have more shells for the hermits when they grow.
CORALS: 1 kenya tree, zoas & GSP Why not more?
Here are some fish we are interested in, but really have no idea what combo would work best. That's where you come in ;)

another Tang - can this work with us already having a yellow? type? Not any other zebrasoma tangs. Maybe a blue? (dory)
Flame Angel Will nip at most corals
another watchman goby - can they go together? I would suggest a different type of goby. Ones that look similar tend to fight.
sleeper gold head goby
bi-color dotty back / splendid dotty back Should work well!
teardrop butterfly Watch out for butterflys. They can be hard to get to eat, but some ARE in fact reef safe.
coral beauty angel Some nip at corals, definitely dont mix 2 dwarf angels. Better for a reef than the flame.
bi-color angel Again, corals, and no more than 1 dwarf angel.
fox face YUP!!!!! Just watch out for dorsal spines, theyre venemous.
Wrasse Really depends what kind. Alot get pretty big and will eat smaller fish. Will probably eat shrimp if bigger.
Should be good! Just make sure you have algae for him.
GL WITH EVERYTHING!!!!! If you have anymore ?s feel free to ask!!!!!

:dance:

Thanks for the advice. We do plan on adding another clown when we change tanks and we had just started on our corals - definitely more of those to come after the switch!

I have a gold head sleepers and he is a very messy fish. He gets sans everywhere and will did under rocks

lovemyreef said:
Our current stock...
1 yellow tang
1 watchman goby
1 clown
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 cleaner shrimp and misc crabs and snails
CORALS: 1 kenya tree, zoas & GSP

another Tang - can this work with us already having a yellow? type?
Flame Angel
another watchman goby - can they go together?
sleeper gold head goby
bi-color dotty back / splendid dotty back
teardrop butterfly
coral beauty angel
bi-color angel
fox face
Wrasse

Be careful of yellow tangs. They are tank bullies. If you plan on putting another tang in the mix make sure that it is not the same body shape or color (unless you want to do 3 yellows of course). Also- make sure you have plenty of caves. Id also suggest adding the two tangs at once. Some excellent tangs include the lieutenant tang, doctor surgeonfish, purple tang, kole tang, desjardini, and white cheek. I'd stay away from the powders and the blue hippo though as they easily get stressed and are more prone to ick.

Watchman gobies are an excellent choice. Like the tangs though- if you want another goby stick with a different body shape of color. I have engineer gobies and I love them.

Why not do a pair of clowns? Unless you are talking maroon clowns and then just stick to one IMO.

Damsels are aggressive and I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion though

Cleaner shrimp are great! Especially with tangs. I would also suggest a peppermint shrimp. They are excellent for killing aptasia. Nassarius snails, hermits, ceriths and maybe astreas are a must. I also suggest an emerald crab or two.

I'd stay away from Angels and butterflies. the fish is a lot cheaper than all the corals and clams they can kill in your tank.

I have a fox face lo in my tank and he does very well- just stay away from the dorsal fins.

I might suggest the Midas blenny. Mine is amazing and the crowd pleaser because he has such a great personality.

Just make sure the wrasse is reef safe. I have a leopard wrasse and she (darker colors) is always out and about.

Are those the only corals you are planning on? There are sooooooo many possibilities!!! Why not some leathers, xenia, Duncan's, hammers, torches, candy corals, scoly, doughnuts, lobo, welso, plates, etc.

I have a gold striped maroon clown, and a
Yellow tang (among others) and my yellow tang is the friendliest of all my fish. The clown is king of the castle, and the falco hawk is satans spawn. I would not suggest a falco hawk to ANYONE, but all our other fish are great in our reef!

Back
Top Bottom