Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Stock list help

Hi guys,
Thanks in advance for the help! I currently have a tank cycling so would like to start narrowing down my purchase list. I have a 75g (48") with 90lbs live sand and 75lbs live rock. I also have a Reef Octopus BH2000 skimmer (rated to 125g). I do intend to add coral to the tank, slowly; probably start with zoas until I build confidence. So here is the list of fish I like the best - I know I cannot have them all, so any advice on the best combination and order of purchase would be greatly appreciated! Also, I presume I should have the fish all settled in before adding coral - true?
One Spot Foxface
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Ocellaris Clowns (2)
Green Chromis small school - or Yellowtail Damsels if they would work instead, worried about aggression but love the coloring
Firefish
Pajama Cardinal (3?)
Royal Gramma Basslet
Green Clown Goby
A Watchman Goby/Pistol shrimp combo
Also feel free to tell me if any of those are just a terrible idea - I am a beginner so I appreciate any advice!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

WELCOME!!!

I would probably go with the chromis rather than the damsels they can be quite aggressive at times.

And the kole tang is an awesome fish to choose but some can be fairly territorial to newcomers, maybe leave that one for one of last ones to put in lol

Foxface is a really good choice, very docile.... but if you are getting one, should just look into a fairly small one, they do like to swim and they grow quite large but they grow very slowly.... in a few years if it starts to get too big for the tank or doesn't look too happy, might be time for an upgrade or giving it to LFS.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #3

Thank you! I hate to give up the damsels but I'm sure you're right - I'll go with the chromis. I have a little trouble knowing how many fish I can put in my tank - for example, the Foxface and the Kole Tang both say 70-75g tank is needed, but I assume I should only have one of them as they are both larger. So how do I decide how many smaller fish I can safely/reasonably add?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea the pretty ones are always the aggressive ones lol. I honesty think that both the kole tang and foxface will be fine in your tank, majority of your other choices are quite small. unfortunately you cant really put a number on it on the amount of fish you can have.

either way you should add fish in there very slowly eg: 1 large fish or a small school every 2-3 weeks minimal just so you don't upset the tank system with a mass increase of bioload.

as you slowly add those fish, you will get more familiar with your filtration system and what it can handle and you can really tell if it looks overstocked.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Thanks again - you have been super helpful. Everybody seems to have a different guideline for how to determine number of fish to add, and it gets very confusing, but I really like your approach to it.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalturtle View Post
Thanks again - you have been super helpful. Everybody seems to have a different guideline for how to determine number of fish to add, and it gets very confusing, but I really like your approach to it.
There is no rule saying for that tank volume you can only have that many fish.
It has more to do with the system specifics ,
Filtration , how much and how often they get fed ,
Beneficial bacteria colonized big enough to handle waste produced ,
I have a 75 gal and have 10 Fish .
I do a PWC once a week ,
I'm inly running a skimmer and canister filter .
But I also have 150 lbs of live rock that helps with filtration . ( actually my main source of filtration .
Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am gonna agree with r mckoy on this but add to what is being said. It boils down to both excess nutrients and fish temperament. Aggression seems to be quite a big issue for most salt tanks and that will play a part in limiting stocking as well.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am gonna agree with r mckoy on this but add to what is being said. It boils down to both excess nutrients and fish temperament. Aggression seems to be quite a big issue for most salt tanks and that will play a part in limiting stocking as well.
+1 you can ruin your day by adding the wrong fish. Try hard to not make snap decisions at the LFS, a very hard thing to do. But there is that time when you encounter at the LFS that occasional fish you've always wanted, just do your research. It shouldn't be a shocker that when you mix creatures from all over the world and place them in a confined environment, that some of them don't get along.

But even fish that don't get along can prosper if they have an environment that allows escape. Out of sight, out of mind is also appropriate with fish. My dwarf angels hate each other, but because of lots of caves they haven't hurt each other over the years.

In the long run, reducing stress is what allows humans to live a healthy life and the same is true for all other creatures. Sorry to get long winded, but I have come to believe we make most of our problems by causing stress, which then is manifested by disease or poor eating.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
+1 you can ruin your day by adding the wrong fish. Try hard to not make snap decisions at the LFS, a very hard thing to do. But there is that time when you encounter at the LFS that occasional fish you've always wanted, just do your research. It shouldn't be a shocker that when you mix creatures from all over the world and place them in a confined environment, that some of them don't get along. But even fish that don't get along can prosper if they have an environment that allows escape. Out of sight, out of mind is also appropriate with fish. My dwarf angels hate each other, but because of lots of caves they haven't hurt each other over the years. In the long run, reducing stress is what allows humans to live a healthy life and the same is true for all other creatures. Sorry to get long winded, but I have come to believe we make most of our problems by causing stress, which then is manifested by disease or poor eating.

Very well said !
Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

One Spot Foxface
Great choice, get a small one

Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Good tang choice, but can't recommend any others.

Ocellaris Clowns (2)
Must haves

Green Chromis small school - or Yellowtail Damsels
Green chromis tend to mysteriously disappear over time, yellow tails are great for a big reef full of fish larger than themselves, they mostly pick on each other and like to live at least a few feet apart.

iFirefish
Must have

Pajama Cardinal (3?)
I never had any luck with them , but others have

Royal Gramma
Must have, just don't add a purple dottyback

Basslet
Not sure

Green Clown Goby
Good choice

A Watchman Goby/Pistol shrimp combo
Why not?

Tags
stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com