stock list help for 125?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey yall, I have 125 gallon 6ft long. Right now I only have two clowns in the tank. I would like to have some help and ideas for a stock list. I also have some coral and two cleaner shrimp. I would like to have some fish that POP out. I think some of the most beautiful fish are tangs and angels. I know many if not most angels arnt coral safe or you have to add with caution. So im not looking for to many angels. I do like tangs and I know theres a huge debate on how big is big enough for a tang. I have a couple I like DOESNT mean im putting multiple tangs in my tank. I like the yellow, powder blue, kole and the sailfin. I think the yellow and kole would be fine, maybe not together but tank size. The sailfin I know is to big or gets to big. What about the powder blue? I would like to have the powder blue but if I cant or shouldnt ill probably get the yellow. Would like to know what you guys think on this. And any recommendations for other fish? I have a black background so id like them to have more light than dark colors. Also reef safe. Thanks

This what I have in my 125.
3 tangs
3 lyretail anthias
I goby
1 blenny
1 gold stripe maroon clown
1 six line wrasse

This is what I have had for many years and it has worked well. Not saying you need those but just showing you what has worked.

Anthias and wrasses will give your tank a nicely colored, and active look. Wrasses are probably easier to keep as they adjust to aquarium lighting a little better. They also do not require frequent feedings like Anthias. Leopard, Flasher and Fairy wrasses are nice.

What kind of tangs do you have? Are they full grown as well? How are the anthias. I was wanting some. I know they need to be fed multiple times a day because of there high metabolism. But what ive heard is that if you get 1 male 2 females you will be fine. But as time goes on the female has been known to change into a male and the males fight. Have you had this problem? And how long have you had them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea ive seen many nice wrasses. I had a 6 line before and he was pretty aggressive to everything else.

I have A yellow, scopas and yellow eyed Kole tang. The Anthias are Lyretail and get fed every other day with the rest of the fish. Had them for three yrs now. They were three females but one has morphed into a male.

Would a powder blue be to big? Because it says 125 on some sites 180 on others. But most 180 amd 125 are 6ft long. So I knda dont understand this. And if I got a kole amd yellow would I need to add them at the same time? Are there any anthias that dont morph as easy. Because I dont really want them fighting all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flasher wrasse are nice too, but when their fins are up. When they are down to me alot of them look totally different. And if I like it they seem to be over 45 50 bucks which is a little much for how much I want to spend on a wrasse. I thought about getting some firefish gobies. I think they have a beautiful nice deep red. And was going to get a few but many people said they will always whittle down to one.

In my opinion just buy a male and two females. They get along nice. I think the powder blue should be ok even though I have never had one. You might be better off if you ask someone who has had one.

Ok so they arnt going to bother new additions in the future? Like a goby tang or anything on the slow moving side?

Ok so has anyone had a powder blue tang in a 125? Maybe with a yellow tang as well?

I personally would never and prob will never, attempt to keep either a blue hippo or powder tang (blue or brown). browse through the sw forums on here enough and youll see a TON of ich threads related to those specific tangs. I currently have a lieutenant tang and a purple tang, had a yellow but the purple killed him:( IMO there are a lot of different tang options that aren't quite as prone to disease as the blue hippo and powders, not to say that its impossible to keep them, just that the occurance of diseases in them is higher then others.

I dont have powder blue4s but I do have 3 tangs. I have heard and read that the blues are super aggressive and kinda hard to keep. Just what Ive picked up here and there.

Now, I have a blue hippo, yellow and tomini tang in my 125g currently. I purchased them awhile ago and added the yellow first and then the other two. The yellow was hard on them both for a few days but they now are all friends and swim together as my little tang gang lol. For the reason of the initial aggression i would suggest adding your tangs all at once first off. Secondly, I purchased the blue hippo with the intention of upgrading before he got too big for the tank which he kinda is already. I was certain that I was doing an upgrade though, I mean absolutely certain and to that effect there is a 180g sitting in my living room waiting for water. :) If I had any doubts about the upgrade I wouldnt have gotten the hippo. I babied him from the moment I brought himhome. He was qt'd for a few weeks in a 55g with the tomini and watched like a hawk. I have been very lucky with him, very lucky. No ich signs ever and he got huge and fat. It can be done, but it takes time and effort to keep them happy. :)

Ok thanks for the info. So I guess no on the powder blue. I want the yellow. And as for the hippo I wont be upgrading for awhile im finally starting to add specimens to my tank. If I get a kole tang will the two fight? Should I get them the same size or does it even matter? And what do you thing of the stock list with 2 clowns, yellow and kole tang with 1 male 2 female lyretail anthias? And other good possibilities? I like gobies but some just make sand go everywhere.

I would have the two tangs similar in size, not exactly but you dont want one to be tiny and the other large. lol
I have a pink spotted shrimp goby and he doesnt sift sand at all, might be a good option.

Back
Top Bottom