Stock plan for my reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok guys. I need some thoughts on my stocking plan for my tank. I lost my tailspot blenny (jumped) about 3 weeks ago, and have since gotten a midas blenny. The midas came from an established fowlr tank belonging to a coworker, and has been in my qt for about 2 weeks. He is doing fantastic, shows no signs of illness or distress, eats great. I am going to move him to my display tank this weekend I think.

I have narrowed down my final stocking list and just want to be sure it will be ok. I have a 38 gallon IM Nuvo tank. Stock list is:

2 occellaris clowns (already have)
1 midas blenny (already have)
1 purple dottyback
1 orangetail blue damsel

I know people are soooo against damsels, and it might come back to bite me in the behind, but I am hoping with the fish I have chosen, they can all hold thier own and get along.

I have also considered a royal gramma instead of the dottyback, or a six line wrasse, but would preferrably like to stick with my above list.

lastly, I would really like to add a bangaii cardinal to this list, but am not sure if I am already overstocking the tank, and/or how one would do with the above fish. Thoughts? I can take it or leave it either way, but if I do add one, I would like to add it before the dottyback and damsel.

I think the stocking level is okay, just understand that dottybacks can be really aggressive towards other fish (at least the couple that I have had were). They tend to do a lot of territorial chasing. You've been warned about Damsels, so give it a try, if you must, and be ready to yank it if it gets out of line.

Besides the slight visual differences, is there much difference between the true orchid dottyback and the purple dottyback (psuedochromis) in personality? Is one more or less aggressive than the other? I have only ever seen 1 puple dottyback in person, and it was a purple psuedochromis. My LFS has a lot of yellow ones, but Ive not seen any purple ones there.

If I do decide to get both the dottyback and the damsel, which one should I get first? My plan was to add the damsel last, or perhaps both at the same time, but maybe I should add the dottyback last????

Would a Royal Gramma be a better choice than a dottyback? I have heard they too can be very territorial.

My gramma was a model citizen, never bothered any other fish. Hid alot though and stayed in the rockwork.

Royal grammas are wusses. Mine comes out all day everyday but would never hurt a fly. My blenny owns her in comparison. Every once in a while the gramma opens her mouth real wide to show the blenny but the blenny just isn't intimidated and the gramma runs away.

lol.
I have been doing a lot of googling on royal grammas vs dottybacks, and it looks like the gramma seems to be hands down the more mellow of the two.
Now I'm not sure what I am gonna do. :confused: I really want a purple fish, but I really wanted a fish that was a little less shy than a gramma...............hmph. Any suggestions?

Ok......sooooooo, do you think if I change the dottyback to a gramma, keep the damsel and remaining stock list, I would be ok to add the cardinal? Thinking if that is not too overstocked, I might add the cardinal next, then the gramma, and finish with the damsel.

I think that's fine. Also, my gramma isn't shy at all. Eats from my hand lol. That may just be mine though

hmmm......you guys might be convincing me that the gramma is the way to go. I really love the color of the dottybac, but not sure I want to risk the agression. I will already be risking it a bit with the damsel, but hopefully putting it in last will help.

Think I am going to go ahead and get the cadrinal next, which will give me loads of time to decide for sure on which fish I should go with.

Back
Top Bottom