Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stocking

Okay, assuming one simulates to the best of his ability the real ocean that actually isn't bad, what's y'alls opinion on my pre-planned stock list (fish wise; doing Lps, softie, ploys, clams reef) on a 75 gal main, 55gal sump/refuge, and a separate 20gal refuge-stand alone??? I mean you never see random fish in reefs they school assuming you have good parameters water flow and volume etc!!!??

Ok:

(not in order of obtaining):

-5-7 blue chromis (extra 2 in debate with anthias quantity)
- 4-5 lyre tail anthias (1 male, 2-3 females)
-2 ocelaris clownfish
-1 yellow tang
-1 blue throat trigger
-1 green mandarin
-1 spotted mandarin

I think it's possible and by possible I mean realistic. Sort of.

Help me out guys!!
Thank you so much!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only one im not sure of is the trigger but minus him it should be ok,may i suggest a blenny or goby of some sort to replace him because i think the trigger may eat your smaller fish and upset your tang

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I appreciate your input!! Initially I wasn't thinking of him but I know a very successful hobbyist getting away with a pair in his tank and I've always wanted one! . Plus they're the least aggressive of triggs aside from pinktails and nigers, right??

But if you really think that he'd go after my chroms or mandarins, maybe I will go with a diff tang or something.. :/
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only yellow or kole tangs fit in a 75 but i think that those 2 together may cause fights because the look simmilar and are close in size,but did you consider a flame angel,they are supposedly aggressive but if you add it last,into a tank of that size,and with a stock like that i think it might work,plus there hardy and good looking,but to help lower aggressions even more get a cleaner shrimp and when you add the angel turn out lights for like 2 days,your tank will be fine or like i said before mabey a scooter blenny or watchman goby or a bicolored blenny
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've thought a great deal about my favorite dwarf angel; but are they reef safe..???

Maybe I will go with a flame angel in that case, I'm just wondering if with my gorgeous lyre tails, and the clowns, of there would be too much orange colorations in there; I mean the corals won't have too much orange, but eh....I'm over analyzing.

Oh wait werent flames one of "the only" reef safe dwarfs..??? I don't want it nibbling my zoas or anything!!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of the dwarf angels are reef safe with caution. The best bet for a reef safe one is the cherub angel, then the flame, then maybe a bicolor or something. 1 tang in a 75 gallon is good in my opinion
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

truthfully dwarf angels are hit or miss. they lean more towards the coral nipping side than they do the reef safe side. will people have success with dwarf angels in reef tanks? yes, but just take it with a lot of caution.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm probably going to end up getting my lovely blue chin. They can be very shy and the tang and anthias can hold their own, and a school of chroms might be ok too
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha trigger with chromis? Yup those chromis will be schooling alright... But i doubt they will be seen much. Lol
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also the 2 mandarins probably wont be feasible in a 75G. they go through pods like crazy and the 55 fuge + 20 fuge probably wont be enough for the pod farm you'd need. but I'll let somebody with mandarin experience chime in

NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com