Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zakwhite

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 240l tank with

Yellow tang
2 common clowns
1 velvet damsel
1 six line wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby I think
1 other goby who needs I'ding
2 cleaners

I want to put
A shoal of fish please recommend?
Regal and clown tang heard 3 tangs are better than two together
Blue star fish will it be ok with corals etc if not what else is there that look good not sand sifters
Also I want 2 more cleaners

People are going to say its over stocked etc but really it's not tbh I'm only going to have the tank for prob max 3 years I suspect if that long at all... So don't go max size please thanks guys ;)

I have a 240l tank with

Yellow tang
2 common clowns
1 velvet damsel
1 six line wrasse
2 cleaners

I want to put
Blue star fish will it be ok with corals etc if not what else is there that look good not sand sifters

People are going to say its over stocked etc but really it's not tbh I'm only going to have the tank for prob max 3 years I suspect if that long at all... So don't go max size please thanks guys ;)

I think as long as your water parameters are good, you could add 1 or 2 more fish, but not a regal or clown tang. I've seen some VERY big ones of those and they need a much larger tank. If you're going to upgrade tank size, i would wait til you get the bigger tank to get those. Tangs in general are very ich prone, so you don't want an unhappy tang in your tank.

You could get a couple of bartletts anthias- very pretty, peaceful and they school.
Bangaii cardinals school too, and I think they look cool.
Also, I wouldn't recommend a linkia blue star- they're very difficult to keep alive. I had one for a short time. My reef tank is doing great, no problems at all, but the linkia died anyways. :(

Good luck!

I agree I would not encourage a tang in a tank of that size let alone 3 cardinals are good though

I have a 240l tank with

Yellow tang
2 common clowns
1 velvet damsel
1 six line wrasse
2 cleaners

I want to put

I disagree on the linkia ive had one for years never fed it or anything its still around very active and the brightest blue had it in a 55g now its in my 150g didn even acclimate it but for fish id say chromis or anthias

You'll see people posting threads on several aquarium forums asking for help with their sick linkia starfish. In an established aquarium they can live off of biological film that forms on the tank walls, but they need a fair amount of that or they slowly starve. Yours must be getting enough to eat.

You'll see people posting threads on several aquarium forums asking for help with their sick linkia starfish. In an established aquarium they can live off of biological film that forms on the tank walls, but they need a fair amount of that or they slowly starve. Yours must be getting enough to eat.

I do agree that people have trouble with them but people also have trouble with the simplist things i think alot of reefers move to fast overfeed and overstock and dont get the right equipment is reason for failure when i got the linkia my 55g was no more than 2 months old and has been with me 3 years i just moved to a 150g 3 months ago and its now in there i also got a pair of mandarin 3 years ago in my 55g also been with me 3 years they say those are hard to keep i think if you set things up correctly you can keep whatever you like stability = longevity just my opinion just put in rbta about month ago has doubled in size tank was only 2 months old and about 20 different sps so ya most will have trouble but i think its due to bad husbandry best advice proper water changes with quality saltmix only neccasary chemicals proper flow in dt patience during cycle add livestock slowly do not overfeed or overstock and youll be able to keep anything you want

I think its great that your linkia is doing well, but I don't overfeed and I do 20% PWC every single week. Nitrates are always 5 or less and tank was fully cycled and not new when linkia was added. I Have never had a bout of cyano, hair or any other algae. Any my linkia still didn't make it. Researched online and they are definitely difficult to keep alive.

I do agree that people have trouble with them but people also have trouble with the simplist things i think alot of reefers move to fast overfeed and overstock and dont get the right equipment is reason for failure when i got the linkia my 55g was no more than 2 months old and has been with me 3 years i just moved to a 150g 3 months ago and its now in there i also got a pair of mandarin 3 years ago in my 55g also been with me 3 years they say those are hard to keep i think if you set things up correctly you can keep whatever you like stability = longevity just my opinion just put in rbta about month ago has doubled in size tank was only 2 months old and about 20 different sps so ya most will have trouble but i think its due to bad husbandry best advice proper water changes with quality saltmix only neccasary chemicals proper flow in dt patience during cycle add livestock slowly do not overfeed or overstock and youll be able to keep anything you want

You are either extremely good or lucky. You're experience is very different than anyone else's with a two month old tank starting linkia and Mandarines.

I think its great that your linkia is doing well, but I don't overfeed and I do 20% PWC every single week. Nitrates are always 5 or less and tank was fully cycled and not new when linkia was added. I Have never had a bout of cyano, hair or any other algae. Any my linkia still didn't make it. Researched online and they are definitely difficult to keep alive.

I respectfully disagree ive been reefing for 6 years in a 55g i had orange linkia and blue linkia for 3 years until my wife started a housefire and destroyed our kitchen and my aquarium i set it back up and restocked 3 years ago and blue linkia is doing great they are sensitive to any water params fluctuating but i dont see what is so difficult about them stability is key waterchanges each week does not insure stability it is one method of ensuring quality but the changewater needs to be identical to the tank water or even wc can fluctuate a tank sorry about the loss of your linkia i think they are a beautiful addition

Back
Top Bottom