stocking a 125 opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm looking to start adding fish to my new reef aquarium. Just wanted to get opinions with the list below.

Sailfin tang 1
Black & White Heniochus Butterfly 1
Mandarin goby 1
Cinnamon clown 2
Bellus Angel Female 1
Blue green chromis school 4-6
Lawnmower blenny 1

I would not get a Mandarin for 6-12 months, you need a large pod population or they starve to death. It will take that long, and also make sure you have no other pod eating fish. Cinnamon clowns are very aggressive and territorial, many attack every time you have your hand in the tank. A school Chromis usually kill each other off until only 1 or 2 are left.

Ok thanks for the info. So instead of chromis, what else would be a great addition?

You have a better chance of the tangs getting along if A. you introduce them at the same time and B. get ones that do not share a body type or color

Instead of the Chromis get some lyretail anthias. 3 or five should do great. I have three tangs in my 125 reef. My only issues with your original stocking is the butterfly and angel will probably not be reef safe. Might be at the beginning but sooner or later. I know from experience.

I have a Sail Fin, a Yellow and a Blue Hippo (rescue) tang in my 125 and have never had a problem with them all getting along

I've heard several people say they had difficulty keeping Henniocus alive. Not saying don't do it, just a warning. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS and probably better to add after the tank is established a bit.

Back
Top Bottom