Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Fluff, you are right about the yellow. I was not thinking about schooling, just stocking. Thanks for the correction. I am not sure I agree with the adult size thing. I have enjoyed watching many fish grow from juvinile to adult, and then either moving to another tank, or trading with the LFS. For me alot of the fun is watching them grow up. Heck for me it seems I always have a new tank to move them to anyway

Old 08-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

But not everyone has that option Kevin.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hear ya, if my wife had her way I would not either. I have never found a LFS that would not work some sort of trade with you though
Old 08-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

okay, what if i ditch the shark, the lion, and 3 of the tangs. leaving:

a regal tang
a yellow tang
a picasso trigger
a long-spine porcupinefish

that just seems so empty to me. do i have room for maybe a large angel or something? how much room do i have left?

i suppose i could try some live rock since i was planning on spending a lot on coral skeletons anyways. how much live rock should i add? cost IS an issue. i'll definitely be putting a high quality skimmer on it, but it won't be right away.
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh, now that the shark and lion is out, what about a bunch of damsels? i know the puffer will try to take bites out of them, but will he be able to catch them?

i need color!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I suggest start with these fish...and see what happens. You can always add more fish, it is harder to take them out. The only thing is just watch the picasso and see how it goes. I would get a smaller one and add him as the last fish. I believe that after these guys are in there for a while and your levels settle you will see that you can add something else. The key though is going to be the filtration and how clean you keep the water. The live rock and the skimmer are going to be key to this. If you plan on having a predator tank you MUST have a good skimmer IMO. Until you get it feed very lightly and watch you levels. What kind of filter system are you using? If cost is an issue get a few pounds of real good quality live rock with coraline and whatever. I would not worry about shrimp crabs and other hitchhikers as they will most likely get eaten anyway. Then spend the rest of your live rock budget on base rock, or lace rock, or whatever your LFS calls it. Given time it will become live rock and grow coraline and all that. Meantime it will still help with filtration.

hope that helps
Old 08-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

it does help, thanks. yes, the picasso will go in last. and i was planning on buying all the fish at the smallest size i can, but looking at the list now, i want the tangs to be bigger. i'll be starting with an Emperor 400 wet/dry power filter and a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter (maybe 2 of them). not sure what protien skimmer to get yet. i've been looking at the Coralife Super Skimmer 3002 and the Prism Pro Deluxe. about how many pounds of live rock for a 75 gallon? and any idea if the porcupinefish will be able to eat the damsels?
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The general rule for live rock is 1-1.5lbs per gallon when used as your filtration. Since you are using a canister to filter your water, I'm sure you could use less.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Damsels???? I am assumiing that you are using these to cycle your tank right? Damsels are kindof a hard call. First off there are alot of different damsels out there. Most of them are actually fairly mean, and will hold their own. That being said my Porc once took a nice half circle shaped bite out of a Maroon Clowns dorsal fin. The clown showed him who was boss after that, and they have now been together for over a year. Moral is though if it had been the belly instead of the fin I would be down a clown. Bottom line just watch him and see what happens. I would guess that a smaller porc would leave them alone, especially if there is more then one damsel, in fact they might pick on the porc. My advice would be get rid of the damsels anyway, they will just create problems as you add more fish.

Your filtration should be good. I run wet drys, plus use Auaa C skimmers on my aggressice tank. For my buck the Aqua C is the best skimmer going. Opionions will vary on this of course but I really like it alot.

As far as the rock goes, I would prob go with like 50 lbs or so. Maybe 25 live rock, and 25 base. Start with that and see where you get. I would bet you that you will end up buying more as time goes on, it is kinda addictive. You will want to change your aquascaping, or find a really cool looking piece, or whatever. I still buy rock whenever I see a piece I like.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

shesh, what does everyone have against damsels? :P i actually really like the yellow-tailed blues. they look incredibly bright under the right lighting and are so fast that they just become streaks of color.

am i even gonna be able to grow anything on that live rock with just a double flourescent strip? or would it just end up getting eaten anyway?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com