Stocking approval for a 110g reef!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tip 1: Stop asking questions if you won't take the advice.
No one on here is trying to argue, they're just trying to talk you out of making a bad call.
Think of it this way, we could stick you in a 10' x 12' room. Will you be healthy and survive in there for a while? Sure. But over time you'll go crazy and the stress will kill you.
Tip 2: If you want to get into a hobby where you can keep animals in tanks too small for them try tarantulas.
Tip 3: If you want to buy them, buy them. But atleast have the decency to understand that they will need a bigger home and you will need to upgrade.
I saved a very small yellow tang late last year but knew that I'd have to upgrade to keep him healthy and had plans to buy 125+g by June.

Are you sure that 110gal is 4ft????? I have never seen a 110gal that short I have always seen them 6ft long...
I have two tangs both were in my 55gal doing fine but I did finally have to move my Desjardani out to his very own tank because he would not give the others a chance to eat. So he can all the food to himself. I have both Yellow Tang and a Desjardani Tang.

Obviously you can buy whatever you want. If you want to buy a tang to put in a 30 gallon tank... You can do so. The fish can't stop you & I doubt it will give you any grief about how miserable and unhappy it is.
You came to aquarium advice and asked for advice. You got some. The folks who have owned these fish are giving you their opinions based on their very own experience. Many of them have decades owning and caring for their tanks. If you don't like what you hear... Ignore it. If it works out for you.... Bravo! If it doesn't... Well it's your cash and your dead fish.
Obviously all fish would be happier swimming free in an ocean of space. They would also be prey for larger fish coming their way. If your fish are cramped and unhappy in a tank that is too small... They will be more aggressive. If they are competing for food and space... They will fight or become ill and the strongest will survive. Thats nature. It doesn't matter how much money you spend or how much time you spend, fish do what fish do. If the tangs are in tanks that are too small, they will suffer. You can try time out, taking away their tv's, withholding food or affection? But the truth is NOBODY has any real way to thwart the natural physiological responses of fish. The next time you ask a question... Try being open to the opinions you receive. Good luck man. Maybe you have what it takes to be 1 in a million and some inventive ideas about what it takes to make an aquarium run exactly the way you want. Sometimes it does happen. Keep us posted.

This thread has turned quite ugly. :-(

let's just all agree to disagree. like stated above the OP can do what he wishes, he has the information needed and can make his own decisions.

As a side note, the only reason i went saltwater was to get a tang. I've upgraded twice and now have a 4ft tank but I still won't do it. i am sooo soooo tempted though. honestly and truly. It's something I CAN do but choose not to.

if youre still there OP, there are other tang alternatives. Check out the yellow eye Kole tang. he can be in a four foot tank. I'm considering him myself.

Happy thoughts everyone!! :-D

I completely agree with you carey and truly commend your efforts to participate in this hobby placing serious regard to the welfare of your livestock. It's a familiar refrain and not one that is limited to fish. A lot of folks keep their dogs chained to trees, a practice that others find appalling. It's a hobby full of opinions and fortunately (or unfortunately) also a hobby that is growing by leaps and bounds as far as technology and husbandry. There are very few sure answers and more people learn by mistake than by any other means. Its a wonderful thing that we are able to draw from one another's experiences. The key to learning is to keep an open mind and react with civility. We all have things to learn and there will always be an exception to every rule. My personal experience is the tang that came with our 4 foot tank when we bought it is not living as comfortably as it could. By the end of the summer she will have a new 6 ft wide living space. I will see if she improves.

This thread has turned quite ugly. :-(

let's just all agree to disagree. like stated above the OP can do what he wishes, he has the information needed and can make his own decisions.

As a side note, the only reason i went saltwater was to get a tang. I've upgraded twice and now have a 4ft tank but I still won't do it. i am sooo soooo tempted though. honestly and truly. It's something I CAN do but choose not to.

if youre still there OP, there are other tang alternatives. Check out the yellow eye Kole tang. he can be in a four foot tank. I'm considering him myself.

Happy thoughts everyone!! :-D

I totally agree i tried to stop it on page 2 lol

Guys i wasnt saying im not listening im just saying that ive seen them healthy in much smaller so im gunna go for it and i may not have mentioned it but my lfs will take my fish back if he gets too big,anyway i might get a 125g now wich is like 5'6"L•2'•2'6" so much more swimming room

And sorry about before i was cranky i havnt slept more than 2hrs a night in over 2 weeks!(not very healthy)anyway so can someone please answer the question i started this for are all my fish compatible or should they not be put together?

I think your list looks good for the longer tank. Actually, 125g's are usually 6 feet unless its something odd. LOL

The problem is that your question has 2 different answers depending on certain things.

In a 6 foot tank, these fish would not have any problems with each other.

HOWEVER

In a 4 foot tank, these fish will not have the room to swim. Now this means horizontal room. They like to just run in a straight line. In this type of a tank, not only will these fish be stressed, but they will most likely fight. The blue tang is especially prone to ich and stress, so a stressful situation will likely add to any aggression.

Neither fish will be thrilled in a 110 together.

If you go for the larger tank they'll get along fine. They can be territorial so make sure you add them towards the end of the stock list. Add together to avoid dominance when the other would go in. Just use caution. If one starts harassing the other, pull it out to avoid stress induced illness. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom