Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tip 1: Stop asking questions if you won't take the advice.
No one on here is trying to argue, they're just trying to talk you out of making a bad call.
Think of it this way, we could stick you in a 10' x 12' room. Will you be healthy and survive in there for a while? Sure. But over time you'll go crazy and the stress will kill you.
Tip 2: If you want to get into a hobby where you can keep animals in tanks too small for them try tarantulas.
Tip 3: If you want to buy them, buy them. But atleast have the decency to understand that they will need a bigger home and you will need to upgrade.
I saved a very small yellow tang late last year but knew that I'd have to upgrade to keep him healthy and had plans to buy 125+g by June.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you sure that 110gal is 4ft????? I have never seen a 110gal that short I have always seen them 6ft long...
I have two tangs both were in my 55gal doing fine but I did finally have to move my Desjardani out to his very own tank because he would not give the others a chance to eat. So he can all the food to himself. I have both Yellow Tang and a Desjardani Tang.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Obviously you can buy whatever you want. If you want to buy a tang to put in a 30 gallon tank... You can do so. The fish can't stop you & I doubt it will give you any grief about how miserable and unhappy it is.
You came to aquarium advice and asked for advice. You got some. The folks who have owned these fish are giving you their opinions based on their very own experience. Many of them have decades owning and caring for their tanks. If you don't like what you hear... Ignore it. If it works out for you.... Bravo! If it doesn't... Well it's your cash and your dead fish.
Obviously all fish would be happier swimming free in an ocean of space. They would also be prey for larger fish coming their way. If your fish are cramped and unhappy in a tank that is too small... They will be more aggressive. If they are competing for food and space... They will fight or become ill and the strongest will survive. Thats nature. It doesn't matter how much money you spend or how much time you spend, fish do what fish do. If the tangs are in tanks that are too small, they will suffer. You can try time out, taking away their tv's, withholding food or affection? But the truth is NOBODY has any real way to thwart the natural physiological responses of fish. The next time you ask a question... Try being open to the opinions you receive. Good luck man. Maybe you have what it takes to be 1 in a million and some inventive ideas about what it takes to make an aquarium run exactly the way you want. Sometimes it does happen. Keep us posted.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This thread has turned quite ugly. :-(

let's just all agree to disagree. like stated above the OP can do what he wishes, he has the information needed and can make his own decisions.

As a side note, the only reason i went saltwater was to get a tang. I've upgraded twice and now have a 4ft tank but I still won't do it. i am sooo soooo tempted though. honestly and truly. It's something I CAN do but choose not to.

if youre still there OP, there are other tang alternatives. Check out the yellow eye Kole tang. he can be in a four foot tank. I'm considering him myself.

Happy thoughts everyone!!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I completely agree with you carey and truly commend your efforts to participate in this hobby placing serious regard to the welfare of your livestock. It's a familiar refrain and not one that is limited to fish. A lot of folks keep their dogs chained to trees, a practice that others find appalling. It's a hobby full of opinions and fortunately (or unfortunately) also a hobby that is growing by leaps and bounds as far as technology and husbandry. There are very few sure answers and more people learn by mistake than by any other means. Its a wonderful thing that we are able to draw from one another's experiences. The key to learning is to keep an open mind and react with civility. We all have things to learn and there will always be an exception to every rule. My personal experience is the tang that came with our 4 foot tank when we bought it is not living as comfortably as it could. By the end of the summer she will have a new 6 ft wide living space. I will see if she improves.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
This thread has turned quite ugly. :-(

let's just all agree to disagree. like stated above the OP can do what he wishes, he has the information needed and can make his own decisions.

As a side note, the only reason i went saltwater was to get a tang. I've upgraded twice and now have a 4ft tank but I still won't do it. i am sooo soooo tempted though. honestly and truly. It's something I CAN do but choose not to.

if youre still there OP, there are other tang alternatives. Check out the yellow eye Kole tang. he can be in a four foot tank. I'm considering him myself.

Happy thoughts everyone!!
I totally agree i tried to stop it on page 2 lol
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guys i wasnt saying im not listening im just saying that ive seen them healthy in much smaller so im gunna go for it and i may not have mentioned it but my lfs will take my fish back if he gets too big,anyway i might get a 125g now wich is like 5'6"L•2'•2'6" so much more swimming room
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Please keep this thread civil. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Consider this a warning.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

And sorry about before i was cranky i havnt slept more than 2hrs a night in over 2 weeks!(not very healthy)anyway so can someone please answer the question i started this for are all my fish compatible or should they not be put together?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

O and btw a warning of what?? Im confused

Tags
reef, stocking, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com