Stocking approval for a 110g reef!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was origionally planning on filling my 110g was a cortez stingray,2 clowns,a blue tang,and a bi-colored blenny but now my plans are---1 blue chromis,2 ocellaris clownfish,a blue hippo tang,a bi colored blenny,a yellow tang,and a flame angel,also a cleaner and peppermint shrimp,and a decent cuc...do you think this will work for a 110???

no on the hippo tang.. it will just get too large for a 110. the yellow should be alright assuming its not a square tank. chromi do better in groups id probably go with at least 3 of them. if your going with corals in the tank dwarf angels are touch and go (que someone coming in proclaiming theres is fine) . if your looking for an alternative to a hippo consider a brown... look similar and would do fine in that size tank

It may be 30"tall not sure but ive read the hippo tang has a min of 80-100 and mine is 110 and not to many other fish combined with a strong cuc means it should be fine as long as i dont overfeed

Tangs need a 6ft long tank, it's not about how many gallons. I suggest against both tangs IMO. If you must have a tang look into a yellow-eyed kole tang or a tomini tang, they are smaller.

I only want to know if they will get along/not eat eachother ect...because blue tangs have a 80-100 min and mine is bigger plus yellow tangs only need 80

It's got nothing to do with gallons in this case, the tangs need the swimming room to swim back and forth. In a tank that's smaller they'll become easily stressed and get ich most likely.

Hence why I said a 6ft tank

dont you love when people ask a question... dont get the answer they want.. then try and prove you wrong ... anyways

the smaller bodied yellow would be alright in that tank. the hippo will get ich and die in a 4 ft tank.. i would say 5 ft bare minimum 6+ recomended

also the minimum tank size for a blue tang is generally agreed on as 180 from what i understand.

and the agressivness of said tangs will increase in the smaller tank, combined with the high likelyhood of ich on the hippo.. just a bad idea

like i said the yellow should be okay.. if your looking for another tang (which i would strongly advise against) look into mimmic lemonpeels , browns, and kole tangs

Im not saying its not the answer i want cuz i did my research for like 3 months now and i saw a blue tang near full grown in 90g's and healthy dozens of times also i saw on many websites ranging the min from 65(way too small)to 125 and i avg'ed the sizes from like 8-9 sites,got 85 and 110 is much bigger i just wanted any experienced answer on if these fish will kill each other and again the yellow tang is smaller and about even in activity mabey even less so that will be fine and the rest obviously fit easilly so can some one give me any other advice on compatability or tips for these fish?

about the whole 'if your fish is stressed it will get ich and die thing', ich doesn't just come out of thin air. unless it's introduced to your tank somehow, it doesn't matter how stressed your fish are, they won't get ich. they'll definitely die from sort of stress related illness, but unless it's dormant in your system, not ich.

i think he got it point in the first 10 messages if he doesnt want to follow the advice of this websites seasoned members going on and on about it isnt going to change his mind

Im not saying its not the answer i want cuz i did my research for like 3 months now and i saw a blue tang near full grown in 90g's and healthy dozens of times also i saw on many websites ranging the min from 65(way too small)to 125 and i avg'ed the sizes from like 8-9 sites,got 85 and 110 is much bigger i just wanted any experienced answer on if these fish will kill each other and again the yellow tang is smaller and about even in activity mabey even less so that will be fine and the rest obviously fit easilly so can some one give me any other advice on compatability or tips for these fish?

Like I said earlier, in these fishes case it isn't about how many gallons they need or anything about it. In the wild these fish are swimming freely in the open water column constantly, they need room to swim.

about the whole 'if your fish is stressed it will get ich and die thing', ich doesn't just come out of thin air. unless it's introduced to your tank somehow, it doesn't matter how stressed your fish are, they won't get ich. they'll definitely die from sort of stress related illness, but unless it's dormant in your system, not ich.

i would say ich lays dormant in at least 80% of our tanks and if it doesnt already chances are it willwhen you add the tang from the fish store..

Wow u ppl just wanna argue dnt u i just wanna no if these **** fish will get along!!!and dont worry about the tang he will have enough room,ive seen them at like 5inchs and healthy in 90's and 100's and y u guys keep sayin gallons dnt matter,r u retarded like wtf is goin through ur mind,obviously a 110g has bigger dimensions than a 90g or do u think it all comes out of nowere!can someone please give me a tip on if these fish will behave well together???

Or even on some special need or tip to keep them healthy?

gallons does matter, but when it comes to swimming room, it sorta doesn't. You can have a 110+ gallon that is 3 feet wide, 1 feet deep, and 5 feet high, but that wouldn't be enough horizontal swimming area for a tang.

You can put a small tang in a 20g and it'll live for a short time but what matters is that it wouldn't be happy and will stress the fish out. Some tangs will SURVIVE in a small tank, but that might just be a strong fish, doesn't mean it'll always work out.

Everyone has been giving you special needs. 6' wide established tank.

Wow dude! Chill! If you don't want to hear an honest answer, why are you on here in the first place? They won't have to kill each other...you'll do it for them if you ignore all sorts of good advice from many of the most experienced aquarists on here.

Back
Top Bottom