Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking approval for a 110g reef!!!

I was origionally planning on filling my 110g was a cortez stingray,2 clowns,a blue tang,and a bi-colored blenny but now my plans are---1 blue chromis,2 ocellaris clownfish,a blue hippo tang,a bi colored blenny,a yellow tang,and a flame angel,also a cleaner and peppermint shrimp,and a decent cuc...do you think this will work for a 110???

Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no on the hippo tang.. it will just get too large for a 110. the yellow should be alright assuming its not a square tank. chromi do better in groups id probably go with at least 3 of them. if your going with corals in the tank dwarf angels are touch and go (que someone coming in proclaiming theres is fine) . if your looking for an alternative to a hippo consider a brown... look similar and would do fine in that size tank

Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long is the tank?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

4ft long 19 inches wide 35inches tall
Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It may be 30"tall not sure but ive read the hippo tang has a min of 80-100 and mine is 110 and not to many other fish combined with a strong cuc means it should be fine as long as i dont overfeed
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tangs need a 6ft long tank, it's not about how many gallons. I suggest against both tangs IMO. If you must have a tang look into a yellow-eyed kole tang or a tomini tang, they are smaller.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only want to know if they will get along/not eat eachother ect...because blue tangs have a 80-100 min and mine is bigger plus yellow tangs only need 80
Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's got nothing to do with gallons in this case, the tangs need the swimming room to swim back and forth. In a tank that's smaller they'll become easily stressed and get ich most likely.

Hence why I said a 6ft tank
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

dont you love when people ask a question... dont get the answer they want.. then try and prove you wrong ... anyways

the smaller bodied yellow would be alright in that tank. the hippo will get ich and die in a 4 ft tank.. i would say 5 ft bare minimum 6+ recomended

also the minimum tank size for a blue tang is generally agreed on as 180 from what i understand.

and the agressivness of said tangs will increase in the smaller tank, combined with the high likelyhood of ich on the hippo.. just a bad idea

like i said the yellow should be okay.. if your looking for another tang (which i would strongly advise against) look into mimmic lemonpeels , browns, and kole tangs
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im not saying its not the answer i want cuz i did my research for like 3 months now and i saw a blue tang near full grown in 90g's and healthy dozens of times also i saw on many websites ranging the min from 65(way too small)to 125 and i avg'ed the sizes from like 8-9 sites,got 85 and 110 is much bigger i just wanted any experienced answer on if these fish will kill each other and again the yellow tang is smaller and about even in activity mabey even less so that will be fine and the rest obviously fit easilly so can some one give me any other advice on compatability or tips for these fish?

Tags
reef, stocking, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com