Stocking for 400 litre reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys and gals I was thinking of upgrading to a 400litre tank. I was looking at the stocking for my tank.
I was using the general rule of 1inch of fish per every 4 gallons. After using this I worked out that with a 400litre tank/88 gallons I could have 22 inches worth of fish.

However I have looked at several stockings for other 400litre tanks and some peoples where way overstocked according to this rule.

Most people where way over twice this rule and some even three times the amount of fish to volume. A lot of people said this was fine and some said they could have more fish.

Is this rule totally wrong? As the people keeping this many fish to volume didn't say anything about their tank-mates being aggressive because of cramped conditions.

I also wanted to know if my stock would be ok for a 400litre tank or if this rule is true and I need to shorten my stock.

I would like:
Coral beauty
Kole yellow eye tang
Royal gramma
Longnose hawkfish
Flasher wrasse
Copperband butterflyfish
Shrimp and goby pair

Thank you for taking your time to read this and thank you for any replys.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the rule is very wrong. Stocking should be based on agression, compatibility, bioloads, reef safeness, etc. that being said i dont know what alot about the fish youve listed

I have no clue where you got that "rule" but as previously stated, it's way off. As for the aggressiveness of the fish because of cramped conditions is more of a longshot than judging each individual fish for their particular demeanor, although no two are ever alike. IMO you're about 45g shy for a copperband and another 15g shy for the kole. I see no problem with any wrasse selection but with any fish you're going to need to be selective if you want any kind of reef.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Thanks for the responses everyone. What would be the absolute minimum size tank I would need to keep my original stocking list? As one of the only reasons I wanted to upgrade was so I could get a tang and a Copperband butterflyfish.

Is it a 4 ft tank? I think the kole would be fine. I'd just drop the Copperband. They're notoriously difficult to keep alive and even when eating can die for no apparent reason.

Yes it is a 4ft tank. I didn't realise with the Copperband I knew they where hard to keep but I thought once they where feeding then they where fine. Thanks for replying. So if I had a 400litre with my desired stock except the Copperband would that be ok or would they be cramped?

Yes it is a 4ft tank. I didn't realise with the Copperband I knew they where hard to keep but I thought once they where feeding then they where fine. Thanks for replying. So if I had a 400litre with my desired stock except the Copperband would that be ok or would they be cramped?

I think that's fine. I'd add the kole and coral beauty last.

That looks good to me. I'd add the flasher first as they're pretty timid.

Thank you a lot everyone for all the replys everyone. It was my lfs that said about the 1 inch of fish per 4 gallons. They did say it was a rough guide.

Fyi the tank sizes are based on US gal. So your 400 L is closer to a 110 gal tank instead of 88. More options

Just remember that fish grow. Stock according to maximum mature size (and compatibility!)
you don't want to try to net a fish out of your gorgeous rock work.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom