Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I fully understand the excitement of stocking a new tank. However, you have just created a huge problem for yourself. New tanks, regardless of how stable the parameters have been, need to have livestock added VERY slowly. This will give the tanks natural biological filter a change to catch up with the increase in demand. Ideally, the list you provided should be added to a new tank over 2-3 months, not all at once. Your biggest challenge now is to stay ahead of declining water conditions. This means a regular rotten of water changes done on a very frequent basis. If you wait until you have detectable NH3 and NO2 it is too late. Get a jump on things. As Hara mentioned, your biological filtration is low. The best thing you can do for your tank right now is to add another 50lbs of CURED LR to help with the increase in bioload. Resist the temptation to feed daily. In your situation feed lightly once every three days. Yes, your fish will get enough to eat.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my tank just over 2 years ago. A 75 gallon with about 93 pounds of live rock. The rock was from a local fish store so it was already cycled. The first thing I added was 6 green chromis...waited a month,added two clownfish...waited another month, added a blue hippo tang....waited another month and added a bicolor angel. I'm proud to say I still have the clownfish and bicolor with me. Marine velvet from an infected royal gramma took the others. I feel that is very good for my first ever attempt at saltwater.

My point is, I think I attribute my success to patience. I do the standard weekly water changes, filter changes etc...but the secret to a successful start is patience.

Also forget the anenome...I'm not sure they should even be allowed in home aquariums. Their lifespan in the wild is unbelievably long...maybe a hundred years or more...in captivity it is extremely short. Very tough to keep especially for beginners...I know, I tried and will never again subject an anenome to that. It lived for a while, but was sickly looking most of the time. I felt horrible for trying something that I knew I probably shouldn't have in the first place.

Sorry for the length, I'll get off my soapbox now....but good luck with the new tank.

dicjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Again thanks all for the advice. I'll try to keep up with the weekly water changes and update this thread as things develope. I think I failed to mention that I have 3 damsels that will be going back to the LFS, this should help with the bioload. Thanks again. I hope I don't give yall the opportunity to tell me "I told you so".

fishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com