Stocking ideas for my 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EVMIII

Aquarium Advice Regular
My new 125 has been up and running for a week and I'm starting to plan for future growth. I moved a year old 55 gallon with about 75 pounds of live rock and added another 90 lbs of new live rock. Water is testing at 0 tries and trates, Ph 8.4, salinity .0024, temp steady at 78-80 . All doing well. Using three maxspect LEDs.

I would like another tang, blue, powder blue or, achille's?
I have a sand base so maybe a blenny or go by or two.
I had a hawkfish that I liked (unfortuneatly so did my anemone)
Maybe a few schooling fish (anthis sp?)

I am looking for stocking ideas. Plan to go slow, but I'd like a plan so I can add in appropriate sequence where required. Don't want to cause any disharmony with my current fish and can be as patient as required. Ideas?

As far as Tangs go, I would probably hold off on the Achilles and the Powder Blue. I wouldn't go with the Achilles because they tend to be hard to take care of, and the Powder Blues tend to be aggressive. :) I would go with the Blue Tang. :) in fact I am moving my Blue Hippo over to my 125g once it is setup.

Achilles are beautiful fish I say go for it or the pineapple fish is awesome don't know much info about it tho

As far as Tangs go, I would probably hold off on the Achilles and the Powder Blue. I wouldn't go with the Achilles because they tend to be hard to take care of, and the Powder Blues tend to be aggressive. :) I would go with the Blue Tang. :) in fact I am moving my Blue Hippo over to my 125g once it is setup.

I'm definitely leaning that way, but I do really like the look of the Achilles. LFS has one he is quaranting for someone that is too cool (also already bigger than I would want to start with).

Anybody know anything about the purple tang? They seem to be less common and pretty cool, does anyone actually have one? Thanks.

I'm definitely leaning that way, but I do really like the look of the Achilles. LFS has one he is quaranting for someone that is too cool (also already bigger than I would want to start with).

Anybody know anything about the purple tang? They seem to be less common and pretty cool, does anyone actually have one? Thanks.

I agree with you Purple Tangs are very cool fish. I do not have one, but I heard that they are pretty aggressive fish too. If you got one I would recommend adding it last to avoid aggression. They wouldn't be as aggressive because all the other fish would have already made their territories. :)

Oops, I forgot to add something!

You might have aggression issues between your Yellow and Purple due to the fact that they are both from the Zebrasoma family. It can be done though, it is just something to consider. :)

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I didnt know you had a purple. If not added at the same time, they will harass eachother.

Oops, I forgot to add something!

You might have aggression issues between your Yellow and Purple due to the fact that they are both from the Zebrasoma family. It can be done though, it is just something to consider. :)

That was my concern as well. The similarity in shape could cause aggression. I was hoping the color difference might help reduce aggression. How much would the size of the purple matter? If I added a purple last and it was significantly smaller than the yellow tang do you think that would that help?

Back
Top Bottom