Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking In Relation To Current Livestock.

8) Hello You Great and Good People 8)

I currently have the following fish in my 55 gallon:
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue/Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Bar Goby

Inverts:
1 CC Star
2 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Crabs
3 Snails

The previous advice was that I could fit a clown fish and dwarf angel in my tank and still be okay on the bioload. I also want to add more snails... lets say.. 10.

Well the goby I read up and bought seems to need some friends. Websites recommend 2-4 in a tank. I am looking into buying another eventually. The LFS is going out of business in a month and she'll mark down everything to 50%.

Then I first considered adding only one clown fish because I'm afraid of aggression problems. Is there any way for me to add two clownfish and not have to worry about aggression problems?

If I were to add two clown fish and another goby. Would this affect my bioload too much to get the dwarf angel? Could I skimp out on the snails to help balance this if it was an issue? I have read that snails are big poopers so if this is an issue I could just use a little elbow grease to get the tank walls clean.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
which LFS in which city of TX?

Old 09-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only about 450 miles from your location. They have marked down their 44 gallon bowfront combo w/stand from 399 to 299 and will probably go lower eventually. I'm not sure if the 50% will be on everything but possibly. The owners mom will take everything that isn't sold because she owns a pet store. Anyway there is about a month before they close everything down. So the 50% probably isn't going to happen for another 3 weeks.

I'd rather not have this thread hijacked for the purpose of buying stuff cheap. Please no more posts about the LFS.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The snails really don't factor in when you are talking bioload. With the yellow tang and damsel, you may have some aggression issues when adding the clowns. Maybe once your new clowns are done in QT (assuming you will QT the new fish) you could move the tang and damsel into there til the clowns set their territories. It may also help to rearrange you liverock a little to confuse everyone a bit. With the addition of three more fish (two clowns and goby), I would pass on the angel.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tang and damsel are very shy currently and hopefully will not pose a problem. I have another damsel in QT right now because of aggression. I'm curious if I could add him back after the clowns get settled in? Has anyone had any luck in bringing back a fish that was aggressive into a tank after the new mates have established their territory?

Thanks for the help Fluff. Two clowns, Two gobies, Two Damsels (provided the mean one in QT will not be aggressive), One Tang should put my bioload full.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try redecorating a little before adding the damsel back. Just as a precaution.

Tags
current, live, livestock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com