Stocking list for a 38g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
So, I have been thinking about what to stock my 38g with for awhile now. Just thought I'd run it by everyone for comments and suggestions. My cycle isn't over, but I wanted to have my list near finalized, so that I could start stocking when the cycle ends.

Dimensions are 36x12x19. Pics and other info in my build thread.

Fish I want:
Blue Flasher Wrasse-Paracheilinus cyaneus
Midas Blenny-Ecsenius midas
Black and White Clownfish-Amphiprion ocellaris var.
Yasha Goby-Stonogobiops Yasha

I plan on just one of each of the fish listed above. If I have room for more, I'm interested in Orange spotted Gobies, Firefish, and Royal Grammas. I know the Midas Blenny can get around 6". Is that ok for my tank? If not, what other Blenny would you suggest in its place? I'm looking for nice color mainly, but personality works too.

Snails:
Astreas
Nassarius
Ceriths
Margaritas

How many of each would you recommend for my CUC? I don't plan on any Hermits. They creep me out. :)

Thoughts or suggestions on my stocking?

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the midas blenny, but the other fish you've listed are great choices.

Think I have room for one more? Although the corals will be my favorite parts of the tank, I'm starting to like the fish too the more I read about them. :D

It's obvious that you've been researching and I love your stocking! What about shrimp? A pistol to pair with the yasha, etc...

CUC wise... I'd suggest very gradually building up to

Snails:
Astreas x3
Nassarius x15
Ceriths x3-5
Margaritas x1-2

based on what your tank does and where the food sources arise. I'm pretty new to it too though and would wait for Mike, Larry, James, etc. to chime in before deciding.

Oh yes, I forgot about shrimp. :) I'd like to have atleast 1, or 2 if I can. I like skunk cleaner shrimp. And a Pistol would be awesome for the Yasha. What about a Red Banded Pistol? Would it be compatible with the Cleaner shrimp?

Thanks for the suggestions on snails, HN1. I wasn't sure what good numbers for each were.

I have done a fair amount of research, but wasn't sure exactly how many fish I could have in the tank. I'm one to push the stocking limits in fw, but I don't want to push the limits too much in a reef...lol.

I'm pretty sure just about any type of pistol is compatible with the shrimp gobies. It took our's awhile to pair, but it is very interesting to watch. We have a peppermint in with our's so I think a cleaner would be fine. The pistol pretty much stays to itself in it's den once paired. We don't see it often so don't be surprised if you don't either.

im really no good at helping with compatibility and stuff like that, but the list seems complete and I love most of the fish on the list! its going to add nice color to it.

Back
Top Bottom