Stocking my 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winter-huntsman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I lost my 2 new clownfish (they did not make it 3 days, one jumped, the other died from a self inflicted injury) and now I'm looking for some ideas for fish. Currently all I have are a bunch of corals and 1 zebra hermit crab. I would like to get peaceful fish that wold all easily get along. I'm doing my own research but would love to here some ideas from you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Firefish clown or neon gobies would be very well suited. All peaceful (except purple firefish)
Could always do a goby shrimp pair also, those are really cool

That's what I was thinking. I love how firefish and gobies but they are jumpers I read and I have a open too tank. I assume I will need to build a cover using mesh. I do have a cover but I don't use it because it's glass and does not allow a lot of room for air exchange.

Do you guys think a pair of clowns and a bangi cardinal would be a good mix.

Bangi are iffy, there schoolers by nature I would just go with the clowns and if you really wanted a third fish, a small goby

What goby would you suggest? I have read that they need to be feed twice a day.

No those would be mandrians, I would suggest things such as a yellow watch man, clown, or neon

Thanks I'll get a pair of clowns and either get the watchman or the clown goby. I exspect I'll have to build a cover to stop the goby from jumping.Thanks for the help.

No prob anytime, and if you want a cheap cover that works well for gas exchange, egg crate. At any hardware store

I just started up a 29, pair of clowns, yellow goby and a bangai, some inverts to, may Have a rushed a bit but it's going well for now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My banggai is fine by himself in my 40. It'd work fine with the clowns

I had the same thoughts, I use to have a bangi with my original clowns. The he died out of know where ( I exspect it was my female clown who normally terrorized any new fish).

So the yellow watchman goby and clowns are a for sure and the bangi is a maybe. Now I just need to make a top from egg crate or build one out of a screen.

I got a couple of weeks before I buy anything so if you guys come up with any other ideas let me know.

I'm not sure your end game but of you plan on upgrading and getting bigger tanks in the future a baby tomini tang gets along with everything. That was my experience. But you will need to move him into a larger tank if you went that route.

I do plan on getting a larger tank, but I will be taking down my current tank when I go to college in a year and half. After that I'll run my tank again in a apartment probably then upgrade from there. So if there is a fish that will stay small for a year and a half I would love to hear it.

The great thing about any saltwater tank is that they normally take longer to establish and the growth rate of the coral and fish aren't very fast at all. But if you are already thinking about a bigger tank I would recommend using the money for that. When I first started with a 10 gallon nano reef then jumped to a 30gallon then jumped to a 55 and now I'm working with a 75 and I am happy with the 75. So it's ultimately up to you. But most saltwater fish from my experience have grown slower.

So I should just stay with cheep stuff so once I get settled in a place after college I can build a big tank. Is that what your saying?

That would be my suggestion simply because breaking down a reef tank or saltwater tank is tough work. You never know what will last and what won't.

All that matters is that the tank is fine with all the parts and pumps in tact. All the live stock I'll sell off. But I still have a year and a half before that.
So I decided I'm going to go with the bangi cardinal and a pair of clowns

Back
Top Bottom