Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Stocking my 29 gallon tank???

Hello i would like to get some info on what fish i can stock my 29 gallon tank with.. I would really like a mating pair of clowns, whast the different type of clowns i get so confused between the percula, true, false and so on, i just want the normal bright orange and white striped ones... Is a 29 gallon large enough for a mating pair????? also is there anyother small fish i can add like gobys or whatnot?? thanks
ps i have 4 damsels in there now which i will take out and im giving them to my friend with a sw tank... i know i cant keep any damsels with the clowns.

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
The Clowns you are talking about are Ocellaris Clowns, or False Percula Clowns. I think 30+ gallons is reccomended. I am not sure if 2 Clowns will fit but it will be tight. I know that. Unless those are the only fish you are getting, then it MIGHT be OK. HTH!

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A pair of A. ocellaris (false) perculas would do well in a 29g, they stay relatively small and do not require a large territory. I also think you could add a small goby such as a citron, neon, etc. Finish it off with some snails and a cleaner shrimp and you would have a nice little system that should be easy maintenance (none of the livestock listed are messy or otherwise high bioload).

Remember to quarantine all of your new arrivals before placing them into your display tank to avoid introducing parasites or other maladies that will cause major headaches.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a pair of Perc. Clowns in my 29 and they are fine! They have a lot of room to roam and actually seem happy! I think like Hoops said that you could probably add a small Goby and still be OK as far as space goes. Also get about 25 Turbos, about 10-15 Nassarius snails and a dozen or so Scarlet Hermits and your set. If your not going reef you could also look at a Chocolate Chip Starfish as well ... I have one in my tank and it really adds to the tank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccs_101.jpg (40.8 KB, 68 views)

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
pair of percs
firefish
dwarf angel
That would be my list maybe a neon goby
Old 11-20-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

do i have to get a mated pair of clowns what do i do, or should i just get 2 small ones and they will turn into mated ones???
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

wait, i can do a dwarf angel like a flame angel and a pair of clowns in me 29 thast not too much??
Old 11-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only dwarf angel I would consider for a 29g is a C. argi (cherub).

For the clowns, yes, get two as small as possible. As they grow, they will establish dominance between them and one will mature into the larger adult female.

Do not add that many turbo snails. They are some of the largest of the cleaner snails, that need alot of food, and only should be added at about 1 snail per 20-25g.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I would not stick any dwarf angels inside a 29 gallon.

This is how I would stock a 29 gallon.

2 false perc clowns
1 shrimp goby
1 pistol shrimp
10 blue/red leg hermits
9 nassarius snails
20 astrea snails
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

You could also do a small serpent star if you wanted.

With this list you could upgrade to a reef in the future(which you will)
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
I agree with Hoops, you should get two small ones and let them grow together. I would recommend getting two Black and White percs if you don't mind spending a little extra $, I have one and it really is a joy to watch. Awhile back I had a regular true perc and they got along just fine, they grew up together as well. It's interesting to see an orange one and a black one swimming alongside eachother.

I have a 4 stripe in my tank with my clown and they are fierce! My yellow tang stands up for the clown though! =) I do plan on returning the damsel as soon as he's ich free. Good luck with your clowns! They will make a great addition, I'm sure!

1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Syn6644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com