Stocking my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deb Swope

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are the calculations to figure out maximum stock for a tank? I have a 180g bowfront. My fish are all small atm. Some will get 10"-12" large. I don't want to over stock now.

Things like inch per gallon rules don't apply well. There isn't a magic calculator that will tell you what can fit into a system. I would browse through liveaquaria.com to start getting an idea on what you'd be interested in and go from there as a large part of this will also vary from the personality of the individual fish.

Sailfin tang, yellow tang, Bandai Cardnal, Hawkfish, Goatfish, cherub Angel, watchman goby, 2 mocha clowns.

Sailfin tang, yellow tang, Bandai Cardnal, Hawkfish, Goatfish, cherub Angel, watchman goby, 2 mocha clowns.

Want to get a Mandarin dragonet, some fire fish to school and maybe a few other small ones.

I'd say you could probably get a couple more small fish. Just nothing that gets bigger than 3-4". The sailfin will get around 8-10" and the yellow will probably hit 7-8", as well as the goatfish but everything else stays pretty small.

Just be aware of the mandarins dietary needs.

If you get mandarin they probably will starve. I have goats they are complete bottom cleaners. I think its going to be hard to get them enough food. They are just to slow to eat compared to the other fish in the tank. Tangs are another nonstop eater due to there digestive system.

I'd say you could probably get a couple more small fish. Just nothing that gets bigger than 3-4". The sailfin will get around 8-10" and the yellow will probably hit 7-8", as well as the goatfish but everything else stays pretty small.

Just be aware of the mandarins dietary needs.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

If you get mandarin they probably will starve. I have goats they are complete bottom cleaners. I think its going to be hard to get them enough food. They are just to slow to eat compared to the other fish in the tank. Tangs are another nonstop eater due to there digestive system.
I'm sure you mean well and just care about the fish. Let me assure you that I'm not going to get anything just to let it starve. I do my research.

Back
Top Bottom