Stocking question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 125 reef and I'm wondering how much is too much? I have about 150+ live rock and about 3-4 inches of sand. I have
Surgeon tang
Cowfish
Three clowns
A cardinal
A mandarin
two sand sifter stars
Another star (lynka I think)
A cabbage coral
A leather coral
Various mushrooms
A Conde
A carpet
A few polyps
And a healthy clean up crew

Can I afford the space to add more? I would like to add a few more fish, maybe a couple corals. Or am I already stocked? Thanks!

A couple shots

Attachments

• image-2137078011.jpg
    image-2137078011.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-193807785.jpg
    image-193807785.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 93
Yes, you have more than enough room to add whatever you like. You are no way near capacity.

You'll find people saying you should have 1" of fish for every gallon up to 3" of fish for every gallon. Taking the average of that, a good rule fo thumb is 2" of fish per gallon. Thus, 62" of fish. You probably don't even have half that right now. Just take into consideration your fish will grow over time.

remember that is full grown size. Meaning a 2” yellow tang counts as 6-7"

you could probably get a couple of smaller fish and tons more coral depending on the type. good luck with the mandarin by the way

You'll find people saying you should have 1" of fish for every gallon up to 3" of fish for every gallon. Taking the average of that, a good rule fo thumb is 2" of fish per gallon. Thus, 62" of fish. You probably don't even have half that right now. Just take into consideration your fish will grow over time.

2” of fish per gallon is 250” of fish and way off of your 62"... Its 2-3"/10gallons.

A decent rule of thumb is 1 fish/10 gallons.

I hope I'm not seeing straight when I say this but is that a maroon clown with other clowns in the tank? I would remove one or the other or else it's going to end badly....

Ya the clowns are very territorial of each other. Luckily the maroon has paired with my anemone and he only squares off with the mated pair occasionally. They have claimed opposite ends of the tank . As for the mandarin, he is very shy but is doing well, he has claimed the back of the tank and it has worked out. Typically I would not want clowns but they were kind of grandfathered in because they were part of a pre existing system I bought ( along with the mandarin)
Thanks for the feed back... I'm going to add a few more fish and of course a couple more corals. Especially after seeing careys recent additions. I'd love a couple more naso tangs but I bought a pair and one stressed and died and the other disappeared!!! We will see I guess

Lol, what I meant to say is 2 gallons for every inch! I wrote it backwards. Thus, for a 125 gallon tank 62" of fish will work.

Back
Top Bottom