Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious why taking a perfectly healthy fish back so someone else with a larger tank can buy a bad thing?

Because you should of never bought it in the first place if your not going to keep it or don't know info about it...it stresses the fish out during travel as well as getting used to a new tank

Ok so let me understand your view here. It's better to get a fish and keep it even though most people advise against. Then to buy a fish see how he does and then decide to take him back totally healthy the same day. I don't see how that's worse.

I would skip the blenny and the Anthias. Here's why:
1. Your tang will probably beat the blenny to death because the tang will perceive the blenny as threat to its food resources. Pretty much any grazing fish like a blenny or dwarf angel will be in trouble.
2. Fathead/Sunburst Anthias is challenging to keep. I had one and traded it in to the fish store. It hides a lot and it's behavior is not like regular Anthias. It's mostly a rock percher (like hawkfish) and not a swimmer. It's very shy and will only eat frozen food if you are lucky. I couldn't train her to eat pellets and it seems like it's almost impossible.
Good points I didn't even think about fighting over tbe blenny and the tang and yea I'm gonna skip the anthias as well

And if I do decide to add another fish it'll be an Ora Randall's assessor basslet

Ok so let me understand your view here. It's better to get a fish and keep it even though most people advise against. Then to buy a fish see how he does and then decide to take him back totally healthy the same day. I don't see how that's worse.

Because it's honestly completely different IMO.
I am providing the same length as a 75 gallon just not as wide many people have kept a bristletooth tang species in there 55s with success. Also I have a established aquarium which I know is stable and I did a ton of research on the fish. I don't go to a lfs and see something pretty and buy it because it was nice looking and then ask for the name. Everything I put in my tank I plan on keeping for as long as possible

Also no one would even think of putting a red tail butterfly in a 55 but people have kept bristletooth tangs in 55 and this is another reason why it's different. You obviously didn't do any research on the fish you bought

Are you sure you didn't want to talk about the Tang? Because this thread is still about the tang. Just sayin

Are you sure you didn't want to talk about the Tang? Because this thread is still about the tang. Just sayin

Good point lol but honestly I just wanted some opinions on adding the fish and i have gotten that as well and it has helped with making decisions towards that direction on which at this point I won't be adding another fish...and if I do decide to it will be the Randall's assessor

For starters I didn't just see the fish and say ohhh lemme try this out. I spoke to both the guys there that also own large salt water tanks and a friend that was with me that has a 150g tank if it was ok. All three said it should be fine.

Yeah I'm just laughing a little because we weren't supposed to talk about the elephant in the room and yet here we are. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

For starters I didn't just see the fish and say ohhh lemme try this out. I spoke to both the guys there that also own large salt water tanks and a friend that was with me that has a 150g tank if it was ok. All three said it should be fine.

That's the same thing...of course the lfs said yea it'll be fine, they're there to sell product and I believe you also said it was a petco, I'm sure they really know what they're talking about. My point was that no planning was put into the purchase (impulse buy) which is probably one of the leading causes for dead fish if I had to guess.

I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me that on saying buying a fish with out knowing its care besides what the lfs says is not something you want to do often or at all...I know this is double edge sword because I have a tang in my 55 but I made a point on making sure I know all of its requirements and if that I could meet them. And based what I know about them and my experience and that of others, I can meet those requirements

I don't see what the big deal is here. Op obviously did his research on the fish he wanted( good for you by the way, too few people do this anymore and it's easier than ever) I agree with the others about the LMB being a bad fit with the tang and the fat head being finicky but think you should be fine with an assessor. I'll take some heat off you here, I had a yellow tang in my 40b for 3 years with no problems and he thrived :eek: . In my defense it was just the yellow and my hi fin red banded goby and I did 2 wc's a week on that particular system, and I would still have it but a friend with a 250 made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If rather see a fish in a tank a little to small that had pristine water quality than a huge tank with poor water quality. Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom