Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking question

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef with bh1000 skimmer, gfo reactor, and hob filter for carbon. I was wondering if if be able to add a lawnmower blenny and either a fathead sunburst anthias or a ora Randall's assessor?

My current stock is
1 clarkii clown
1 two spot bristletooth tang (please no comments on tang I know it's requirements)
2 yellow watchman gobies
1 six line wrasse

Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd go with the lawnmower and skip the anthias. That particular anthias is a harder than normal one to keep, most anthias arent that easy.

If you know the requirements for the tang why have it? lol

Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking question

Because extra 5" of width for a 75 isn't that big of a difference and plenty of people including I believe melosu have kept them in a 55...as I said in the post please do not comment about the tang I have my aquarium and you have yours I'm looking for advice not criticism
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I didnt criticize, only comment. i can tell you arent looking for advice, just someone who wants to hear what they want to hear.

Good luck anyways.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking question

Not true I asked a question about adding fish and also posted to not comment about the tang...you didn't do either you said add lawnmower and say avoid a fish because it's hard instead of saying if it would either make my tank overstocked or not...as well to commenting about the tang...I've been in the saltwater side of the hobby for 3 years I know what I am doing and just trying to gauge to see if it would make my tank overstocked or not and if you do not like to give advice or answer the op questions why even comment

Now if I get majority of posts saying it'll give me a heavy bioload I'd skip adding additional live stock but you did not do that you just went straight make a criticism about the tang...please do not post if you do not have any help or advice on the topic
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Actually, putting a large fish into a smaller tank than recommended does have a big strain in terms of bio load. Eats more, poops more. So, all in all, that tang is a big strain on the tank. I wouldn't want to add any other fish rated for a large tank. You could get away with a law mower, maybe, but keep in mind that with a heavy load continuing to add could push it over the edge and, at worst, crash the system. If the tang starts doing poorly keep an eye on it. A corpse of a tang would wreck havoc on your parameters. Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Honestly any advise given on your question without mentioning the tang would be bad advise. Your stance on not wanting to hear about it puts you in the proverbial no win situation.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Actually, putting a large fish into a smaller tank than recommended does have a big strain in terms of bio load. Eats more, poops more. So, all in all, that tang is a big strain on the tank. I wouldn't want to add any other fish rated for a large tank. You could get away with a law mower, maybe, but keep in mind that with a heavy load continuing to add could push it over the edge and, at worst, crash the system. If the tang starts doing poorly keep an eye on it. A corpse of a tang would wreck havoc on your parameters. Hope that answers your question.

Thank you for the response...yea I keep him well fed with rotating green red purple nori every couple days plus the 3x week feeding of rods food, and that was my concern with already one larger fish, the tang is only about a inch and half but still larger fish for the tank, was that my stocking may already be maxed or close to it.

What if I skipped the lawnmower and anthias idea and just wanted to add the Randall's accessor? Would that be better? Or should I just stick with my current stocking
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Personally, I wouldn't add anything. I have my 55 mixed reef at 8 fish at appropriate size for the tank. This is the max for my system. You are at yours as well, in comparison.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
Honestly any advise given on your question without mentioning the tang would be bad advise. Your stance on not wanting to hear about it puts you in the proverbial no win situation.

I don't mind like what sniper hank said he brought it into factoring of why adding fish may not be a good idea to give reasoning behind his answer...but he did not critique my choice of having one or ask why I have one. He gave a detailed answer for the question I asked

Tags
question, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com