stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok I have an established 29gal tank.. I originally started with two percs but one ended up jumping out :(

I now have a cover over the tank to prevent such things from happening, but now I'm sort of lost on what to add.

Shortly after the clown jumped out I added a tomato clown, they were getting along great until about a month and a half after and the tomato just went crazy assaulting everything in the tank (removed him promptly) and now I just have my single clown and my steinitz goby in the tank and various inverts.

I was thinking maybe a cardinal.. maybe, but I heard they don't do well if they are alone.. I don't want to overcrowd the tank at all.. so really what can I put in there and keep the tank balanced ?

thanks,
thane

Ther are plenty of fish that would compliment what you have. Pseudochromis and basslets make excellent additions. Many colors to choose from. Just one per tank though. They are known to fight with their own kind unless tank raised.

I had a pajama cardinal by itelf for about three years. It was placed into another tank, but did just fine.

Blennies are another good addition. Many eat specific types of algae. Rock blennies (aka lawnmower blennies) are the most common algae eater in a marine aquarium. Not very colorful, but definitely full of personality.

You could try another perc. You'd need to get one that's bigger and no guaranttees it would work out. Mixing clown species in a small tank is a no no as you saw for yourself what can happen.

Keep in mind when dealing with clowns...they are just 'fancy' damsels. The attitudes are all the same lol. Even seen in the African cichlids you have. It is theoried that Afrian cichlids descended from damsels. Notice how they behave the same and 'talk' to each other the same and have the same terroristic attitudes. LOL.

Thought you might like that last tid bit of info :)

Back
Top Bottom